VIDEO: Eating Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) in Tokyo

(If you can’t see the video, watch it here: http://youtu.be/qg4G5y_0Bro)

Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a popular Japanese food, that’s somewhere halfway between a savory pancake and a cheese-less pizza.

Though I wasn’t able to visit Osaka or Hiroshima, where okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is especially famous, I was able try it at a restaurant in Tokyo known as Sometaro Okonomiyaki (染太郎).

Overall, okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is not my favorite Japanese food. Most of the time I would prefer to eat an oyako donburi (chicken rice bowl), or a piping hot bowl of street ramen, but that being said, the restaurant was fantastic and the atmosphere was amazing.

Have you had okonomiyaki before?

Comments

1. Panida says

Hey Mark,

What type of blogs do you recommend for beginners? This may seem like a stupid question, but what is this one you’re using?

Hi Panida, it’s a good question, I know how it is to start up a blog. I’m using wordpress, and from there I use Genesis framework for the design and theme. If you’re looking to start a blog, I would recommend you buy a domain name, find hosting, and then start to design. Let me know if you have other questions.

I wish I had gotten to try this when I was in Tokyo. I was only there 3 days and flying solo. I had a hard time finding restaurants with English or picture menus and I don’t speak Japanese. I only managed sushi at Tsukiji and a noodle bowl at a lunch counter in Asakusa.

Hey Melissa, thanks for watching. Yah, it can be a challenge trying to find where to eat, especially in a short amount of time. If you go back, I can help you with some suggestions.

I was in Okayama, between Osaka and Hiroshima where the two Okonomyakis are quite different. Residents of both cities think there’s is the best. I went to a place in Hiroshima called Okonomyaki Mura(Village). There are three floors of different little Hiroshima style Okonomyaki places, maybe 50 or so restaurants if I remember correctly, really fascinating.

Thanks for watching Chris, yup I think that’s the case. I think I’m a bigger fan of pajeon most of the time, because I prefer the fresh vegetables and kimchi, and the sauce.

I quite enjoyed it. I only had a small slice as we were sharing it among friends with a few beers but it was certainly very tasty. We watched the lady make it to which was interesting.

I love okonomiyaki, it’s one of my favorite Japanese dishes! :)
    Tokyo is not particularly famous for okonomiyaki, but Osaka and Hiroshima are.
    I love that in Japan each region has their own special dish.