Durian Coffee – Glory or Gag?

7830313516 be99edacb2 o Durian Coffee   Glory or Gag?

A fusion of two of the world’s greatest things

Take the world’s greatest beverage and fuse it with the world’s greatest fruit (possibly the world’s greatest thing), and you’ve got durian coffee.

Yet even though it seems like a combination that’s so simple, it took a Malaysian Einstein with a stroke of culinary genius to come up with such a gourmet treat.

I was visiting a friend when he casually asked me if I’d like a cup of durian coffee.

My eyes must have bulged from their sockets – I had never even dreamed of such a creative and attractive brew.

And that’s how I had the pleasure of sipping on my first ever cup of durian coffee.

durian coffee Durian Coffee   Glory or Gag?

Malaysian Durian Coffee

Hailing from Penang (an epicenter of Malaysian street food), it was concealed in a typical 4-in-1 sachet – coffee, milk, sugar, and durian.

Let me tell you, I had never been so excited about a cup of instant coffee ever before in my life.

As I peeled open the baggy, the all-so familier scent of man’s best friend (durian) erupted in a small gaseous aroma that could only be the product of something durian.

It was a mouthwatering smell.

The cup of coffee was by far the best cup of instant coffee I’d ever had, a rich concoction of creamy instant coffee with a noticeable durian dimension to it.

To be honest I thought the durian flavor should have been stronger – but as a durian lover, I’m sometimes immune to a dominating durian flavor or smell.

The more I drank the more the durian came through, a pleasant flavor that really worked well with the coffee.

So, Glory or Gag?

Well, if you don’t have a good relationship with durian, it may be a bit gag inducing…

…But as a voracious consumer of all things weird and pungent, I would have to say that durian coffee may be up there with the wheel as one of the world’s best inventions.

Glory to say the least.

7830388784 7c55eccd5b o Durian Coffee   Glory or Gag?

Fresh Durian + Fresh Coffee = Unadulterated Glory

However, instant coffee is not my preference, nor is anything that’s been packaged up and mixed with lots of sugar.

So though I’ve never actually tried it before, how would a real coffee mixed with fresh durian be?

Someone on Facebook mentioned that they make great durian coffee in Bandung, Indonesia – maybe a food migration would be in order?

Anyone have any suggestions, comments, or tips?

What about you? Glory or gag?

Comments

Only recently I discovered the awesomeness of durian. At first I didn’t like it, but after trying it 3 times I now cannot stop searching for more at every fruit stall vendor I see.
    I am also a coffee lover and addicted, so the combination of the two interests me very much. I want to try durian coffee too! As you said I’d love a fresh coffee instead of instant though..
    I will hunt for it :)

Hey Franca, GREAT to hear you love durian now too, it really is the most amazing natural thing in the world. Let me know if you sample some durian coffee!

I’d like to shoot straight past the dried variety & grab a cup full of fresh durian coffee. The idea entices me incredibly.

I’d love to see a video of the process of making fresh durian coffee, that’d be amazing.

Hey Mark,

Cool to see you trying this. I actually brought my dad some of this same brand coffee for Christmas. He wasn’t a big fan, but then he doesn’t like durian.

Rob and I have had a lot of durian coffees. it’s actually not that uncommon. The best by far was durian-coffee in Vietnam. Wow, that was good!

Durian Coffee is also really common in the Philippines. If you remember that post I wrote for you awhile back, there’s even a whole coffee chain whose number one product is durian coffee. They’re called Blugre, and here’s the link where we tried it: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2012/09/durian-coffee-shop.html

I’ll be passing through Bangkok in May on my way to the World Durian Festival. Any interest in going? :)

-Lindsay

Hey Lindsay, thanks for sharing, glad to hear about so many durian coffee experiences you’ve had. It’s such a fantastic combination. Cool to hear you’ll be passing through again, yah, would love to go, hopefully I’ll be around. Let me know when you’re going.

I haven’t had durian, but I read a lot of stories about the smell. I read that it tastes great, but it smells horrible. I would like to try it as long as I can get past the smell.

Hey Claudine, I think a lot of people dislike durian on their first try because of the smell, so when you have a chance to try it, definitely avoid smelling it first and just go right in for a big bite!