Photo: Life in Manila, Philippines

manila Photo: Life in Manila, Philippines

Manila, Philippines

Manila, Philippines

Manila is the capital mega-city of the Philippines.

Like any other large city, one of my favorite things to do in Manila, is just walk around aimlessly and observe the life and action. Manila always offers a glimpse of something interesting.

Comments

Great photo! I know Manila gets a bad rap, but Tony & I really didn’t think it was that bad. I actually really like how vibrant and busy it was… but then again, we had been in the Philippines for nearly 2 months before we braved Manila, so I guess we were used to Filipino cities by that point. Still, I really do love how in one glance, I knew immediately that this was taken in the Philippines and it made me smile!

Nail on the head for showing what it’s like! I can hear it from here, I can smell it and the energy you’ve shown us has me up and vibrant.

Awesome photo Mark!!! Brings me right back to the city. I was there around this time last February and wandering around the city was pretty much all I did. Although, at night I didn’t always feel completely safe, but in the day the city is alive and there are so many cool neighbourhoods to explore :)

This photo has brought back all of the energy and assault on the senses that comes from a visit to Manila! I went there for the first time in November, and am already on my way back in February!

5. Trevor says

Hey Mark, stumbbled across your blog and find it quite interesting. I will be in Manila in mid April, traveling alone. Any good tips for a solo traveler in the country? I am young (23) like yourself and I have friends (locals) there but will be by myself most of the time. Thanks again and keep living the dream.

– Trevor

Hey Trevor, thanks for stopping by and good to hear you’ll be going to Manila soon. I had a great time there exploring. I went all around just by myself and never had any problems. It may be wise, if you go out at night, to be with some friends. Other than that, just have a great time, people are friendly and it’s easy to get around. Hope you have a great trip!

This reflects Manila at its best I would say! This is exactly what it is! I remember how stressed was I in the beginning when I wanted to cross the streets :)

7. Mari Quijano says

@Arty I’m a local and I am also stressed when crossing streets so I feel you. Manila is a vibrant city. If you’re a foreigner, just be wary of overfriendly people, they might be up to something not good. Otherwise, enjoy! We have 7, 107 islands to explore. :-D

8. Mel says

Awesome photo you got there!!! You know, 4-5 years ago, that street is car-less. All you’ll see then were vendors lining the street selling a variety of things.

9. Bobby J. says

Hello Mark, Since being on the web have been connected with 3 or more woman in the country. One came to US & got a chance to be with them. My question is about Manila & the life, food, cost of living, & any thing you can add. I have a lady friend
    who lives there. Well she is wanting me to come there to live probably marry & have
    a life with her. I’m concerned about living conditions, the church that I want to be apart of, doctors, hospitals, & more. You see I’m looking towards retirement soon &
    wonder how far my money will budget there. She already has a home planned for us.
    I enjoy the warmer climate but worry about the topical storms because haven’t lived around ocean & high waves. Hopefully Manila is not much danger as southern
    Philippines. Any help or comments is appreciated.

Hey Bobby, good to hear from you. It’s been a very long time since I was in Manila, so I’m not sure exactly how it’s changed. I think it has very similar living prices as much of SE Asia, I think living off $1000 per month or less is very feasible. But I really have no idea about medical expenses. Do some more online searching and I’m sure you can find some forums where you can get a better idea about living costs. Sorry I just don’t know much.