How To Save Money To Travel

how to save money to travel How To Save Money To Travel

One way to either start traveling, or  to make travel last longer, is to save more money.

This money saving technique I’m going to share with you is not about penny pinching – that’s the wrong attitude.

Instead it’s about living frugally and being able to save money on the small, and continual things.

Those are the things that add up day after day, month after month, and make a big dent in our budgets.

But rather than try to explain this concept with words, I decided to show you by video.

Press play now…

(if you cant’s see the video, watch How to save money to travel on YouTube)

One last thing I want to re-emphasize.

I’m not saying you should wash your clothes in a bucket.

For myself, that’s not a sacrifice, simply because I think it’s just more convenient.

In order to save money to travel you need to start analyzing yourself, not about the large seemingly impossible things to save on, but about the micro everyday things.

What can you do to start saving money today?

If you’re interested in more money savings techniques, check out these 7 money saving strategies I previously published.

Comments

1. Yvonne says

I can’t…can’t..cannot!

My washing machine spoilt recently. I washed my clothes in the bucket. My legs and hands trembled after squeezing water out from the wet clothes. Arrgh..

Gosh.., I have not seen someone smiling all the way during laundry time like you. Good job and high five! ;-)

Have fun washing clothes,
    Yvonne

Love the video!
    I’ll wash in a coin op washer cuz it’s more convenient but I’ll dry on the line.
    Don’t own a car (save $ on gas, insurance, annual registration fees, maintenance, etc…)
    Have a roommate so everything is 1/2 the cost.
    Specifically work for a university – they pay for public transportation (unlimited monthly) and offer discounts on mobile phone packages, local shops, restaurants, massage, etc…
    If the sun is out, I usually walk (free and get my exercise in)
    In the US use netflix for movie rental thru the mail and stream the rest (even PBS) direct from their sites (no need to pay for a Roku setup or Hulu+)
    Don’t own more than I actually use (no couch, TV, etc…)
    Complete online surveys for frequent flyer miles (check your favorite airline’s site under FF miles to see what offers they’re running so you can earn when ‘grounded’)

Hey Maria, I appreciate you sharing all your extra tips as well. There are so many ways to save a bit of money, many of them are small things that really add up!

I’ve always believed that hand-washing and sun-drying clothes make them last longer… so no need to buy new clothes all the time! Soapy thumbs-up for these money-saving tips Mark! :)

4. Doug says

Well, I bought a second hand washing machine about 15 years ago for $300 and it is still working and has never broken down. I only do two loads per week and always hang my washing outside to dry. I have never owned a dryer. I don’t have the time to wash my clothes by hand.

My money saving tip to afford to travel each year is to make my lunch every day. I was paying between $40 to $50 per week to buy lunch and making lunch only costs between $10 to $15 per week. Which is an easy way to save around $30 per week or $1,500 per year. The other thing to do is to set up a second bank account and each payday transfer an amount you can afford to do without, say $40. If you do this each week, at the end of the year you would have saved over $2,000. I find budgeting my money this way makes it easier on my mind to know that I have the cash to afford to travel each year.

Happy travels

Cheers

Doug

Awesome tips Doug. I agree with you, it’s a lot easier (especially mentally) to automatically set aside some savings from the beginning instead of trying to save money when it’s all in the same account. Great idea!

5. Andres says

This is my tip:

Try to book hotels with Breakfast Inclusive. In Bangkok most of them offers “Continental Breakfast” which is not!! Good for us. Continental Breakfast is a sort of bread, coffee, maybe scrambled eggs and jam. But not in BGK my friend. Somehow they have change the concept and offers you a wide selection of thousands of ham, eggs, bread, biscuits, fruit, cheese, cakes and sometimes even seafood and fried chicken (Royal Benja Hotel). The trick is Eat as much as you can and then take with you some apples, pears, peaches and make a couple of sandwichs by yourself. Also, you can take three or four bottles of juice too. That tip helps you out to save money for an early lunch. Follow this advice, you will be hungry around 5 or 6 pm. Just in time to step into a cheap All you can eat buffet (Between 100 and 150 Baths), or just go to a street food vendor and indulge yourself with a huge bol of noodles with fish or pork (50 baths in Sukhumvit Rd Nana Station). Do not forget to save some snacks fruits everyday, so, you can skip breakfast some days (mostly if you want to travel and can´t take the Hotel Breakfast). Another good way to save money is using coupons. Yes, like in the US and UK. Doing this save me 3000 baths in a month by having lunch at KFC for 89 baths or Burger King for 99 baths full meal. A final tip: Tesco Lotus has a policy of “Do not keep fresh food overnight” so if you are not lazy, go there about 11 pm, just before closing time, and everything is less than half price in the Bakery and Roasted section. In fact, you can buy a whole roasted chicken for 45 baths with potatoes and salad!

Hope those tips works for you mates.

Thumbs up for Mark!!

Mark for President of Foodland!!!