How To Extend Your Thai Visa at Bangkok Immigration

There is the gigantic Thai immigration building

There is the gigantic Thai immigration building

Note: The information in this article is for those that are in Thailand on a tourist visa which was applied for outside of Thailand (example: If you got a 2 month Thai tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur and want to extend it), and not for those who have just landed or crossed into the country and received a visa upon arrival.

You’re in Bangkok and your 2 month Thai tourist visa is just about to expire but you want to extend your Thai visa by 30 days to stay longer. What do you do?

The process is actually not too difficult and I think the most painful part is saying goodbye to 1,900 Thai Baht.

Here’s What You Need:

  • Your passport
  • 1,900 Thai Baht
  • 1 filled in application (get it at the immigration office)
  • 1 passport photo (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm, they aren’t too picky like some places)
  • 1 photocopy of your passport, you current Thai visa, and your stamps into the country

Unlike other inconvenient visa procedure offices around the world, the Thai immigration is remarkably convenient.

You can get all your photocopies done once you’re there for just 1 Baht per page. Just walk to the photocopy center, tell them what you’re applying for and they will make the exact photocopies you need.

Note: You need to have a valid phone number and Thai address to extend your Thai visa – you will be asked!

Steps to Extending Your Thai Visa

  • The Thai Immigration office in Bangkok opens at 8:30 am. I normally just show up at about 9 am or so.
  • Go to the Immigration Division 1 room, go to the counter, and tell them you want to extend your Thai visa by 30 days. They will look at your passport and give you the necessary form.
  • Fill out the form, make your photocopies as needed, attach your passport photo, and then go back to the counter. They will let you proceed to the next room.
  • Get a waiting number, which will take you to section J2.
  • Once your number is called you walk into the office, the immigration officer will look over your application, ask you a question or two, and then accept your 1,900 THB.
  • You’ll go back to wait for a few minutes (normally has taken me anywhere from 10 – 30 minutes) and wait to hear your number again.
  • Once your number is called the second time, walk back in and simply pick up your passport with you extended Thai visa.

The process at Thai immigration normally takes me about 1 hour.

You’ll get 30 more days.

How To Get To Thai Immigration in Bangkok

Located way out on Chaeng Watthana Road and not too far from Bangkok’s Don Mueng Airport, it’s not the most convenient of locations.

Of course, you could easily take a taxi all the way there, but here’s how I get there by local transportation.

Take the BTS Skytrain to Mo Chit Station. Get out towards Chatuchak Weekend Market and get on bus #29 (about 8 Baht) heading north. Get off the bus at IT Square shopping center. From there you have to walk down Chaeng Watthana Road to the west, heading towards Pak Kret, then cross over the street and take bus #356 (9 THB) to Cat Telecom.

At Cat Telecom make a left onto the street, and the easiest thing to do is take a motorcycle for 20 Baht to the entrance of the immigration office.

Address: No. 120 Mu 3 Chaeng Watthana Soi 7 Thung Song Hong, Laksi Bangkok 10210
Hours: Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm but closed for lunch break form 12 noon – 1 pm. Office closed on weekends and holidays.

If you’re looking for awesome things to do in Bangkok, be sure to check out my guide!

View Migrationology World Map in a larger map

Do you love food and travel too?

If so, I'd love to give you my FREE street food guide, "41 Irresistible Meals You'll Travel to Eat," plus you'll receive exclusive street food updates (it's free)!


    • says

      Hey Jamal, the new video on Wednesday will publish on YouTube, but on this website I’ll publish that same video on Sunday each week! Thank you very much for following!

  1. says

    Great blog Mark, I like all your articles. How did you manage to stay in Thailand for so long? Are you a PR now? Or are you doing visa run? Hope you don’t mind me asking this.

    • says

      Hey Vincent, I’ve done quite a few visa runs, and I’m still on a tourist visa. However, I’m now engaged and will get married to a Thai, so things will change in the future. Have you lived, or are you living in Thailand?

  2. says

    It took me 6 hours last time I did it. It was a monday. Some people told me, it’s better to avoid this day of the week because like to go on monday. Sounds stupid but…

  3. Happytravels says

    Hi Mark, thanks for the very helpful article. I have a double entry visa (which was obtained when I was in Laos) and am on the first part the visa (the first 60 days). How’s does the visa extension work? Can I go to immigration now and they will tag the 30 extension onto day 60 or do I literally have to go there on 59th day and then request an extension? Thanks in advance for your help.

    • says

      You have to go there on the last day that your visa expires (or a few days before), and it will be valid immediately as you get it… so no, you can’t get it ahead it ahead of time and save it for when your visa expires.

      All the best!

    • ed hansen says

      how to get my thai retirement visa without waiting 60 days after I got my 90 day O visa from Bkk ?
      I wait why.
      I must have this to get my saudi work visa. Does this new rule make any sense …..or a way to work around it ?

      Anyone in Wattana immigration can help.

      Where is the trains to Laksi or WAttana ? connect from Bkk BTS or MRT ?

  4. says

    Great guide Mark. Just used it today. Took about an hour. Wanted to add a few updates to help anyone else:

    – From Mo Chit BTS station you can jump in a taxi-van to the Government complex for 25 Baht
    – There is a free shuttle bus (red) that will take you from the entrance of the complex to the immigration building, no need to hire a moto taxi.
    – Copy machines and photo printing is available inside the immigration building (bottom floor).
    – I successfully received a 7 day extension on my 15 day overland visa this way

      • Cameron says

        An immigration officer at Chaeng Wattana told me a few months back that one could get two 60-day extensions of the tourist visa based on marriage – I already have one and would like to get another to have time to replace my British passport (at the cheaper rate that becomes effective on April 7 – but takes four weeks, which means for me the passport comes back after the current visa has expired.)

        Anyone have any insights, experiences?

        • says

          Hi Cameron, good to hear from you. I’m not totally sure about this one. I recently go married to my Thai wife, and I can extend my tourist visa by 60 days 1 time, but hadn’t heard about 2 times. Hopefully someone here can help!

  5. says

    I actually have a non-immigrant visa type F which is valid in 3 months from July – October/2013, I want to extend my visa to the 1 year type. I was wondering how long I would have to wait until i can get my visa back? I have official papers too. A friend of mine said it would take 2 weeks, 3 weeks tops. But some also say it can take up to 4 weeks? Thank you

  6. REza says

    Please accept my appreciation , bcoz it was my anxiety . Tomorrow i will go there and i hope as you mentioned already , it be easy …
    could you please tell me , can I change my tourist 2 entry visa into student (ED VISA)?
    how much does it cost?

  7. Joshy says

    Hi Mark,

    Are you sure that the extension starts from the day you apply. In the thread on “” says the extension will be applied to the end of the expiry date irrespective of when you go?

  8. says

    Thank you Mark,
    that is very helpful. I’m planning right now my next trip to thailand with the wish of staying 3 months. So that sounds like the perfect solution: applying for a 2 months visa before travelling, then extending it by 30 days.

    But like Joshy asked do you know if the extension starts the day you apply or at the end of your visa?

    Thank you!

    a fellow blogger who loves to travel

    • says

      Hey Moutassem,

      Great to hear from you and that you’re planning on coming to Thailand for a few months. I always thought that the visa extension started on the day you applied for it, but I’m actually not totally sure. I’m going there in a couple of weeks and I’ll ask!

    • ed hansen says

      sounds ez. have to find the complete train departure schedule have one in BTS somewhere I recall. mabye mrt/train as asoke ?

  9. albert cabrera says

    Hi,just checking that USA can go to Chaeng Watthana Road” to extend Visa for 30 days,there
    website made it seem to accommodate those living in Bangkok.

  10. Joel says

    Hey Mark, first things first: me and my cousin absolutely love your food videos. Whenever i feel down i just watch your face go into pure.enjoyment mode when you taste something in one of your day’s good again:D.

    Anyway. I’ve got a double entry visa to enter thailand fromIndia. Having thailand before, i can already tell i probaly waant to extend this into.another double entry visa when this one runs out (im planning to stay for some time in thailand.and rent a place.). Do you know if this is at all possible??

    Cheers! And keep the videos comming! 😀

    • says

      Hey Joel, thank you so much for watching my video, I highly appreciate it. Yes, that should be fine. You should have any problem renting a place on a tourist visa, as long as you fork out the money and deposit. Best of luck, and thanks again!

  11. bossel says


    Thanks for the info. I just have one question.
    For the tourist visa which I got in Guangzhou, China, I had to provide a flight ticket. This is not necessary for the extension here in Bangkok?

    Thanks in advance!

  12. m a mannan says

    planning for travel thailand within this week……welcome me n my friend….actually we lover….where to travel…which will be better, please let me know…

  13. Robert Davies says

    Hey Mark,

    Great website. I like it a lot. The new Richard Barrow!!

    I have a 3 entry tourist visa and am in Thailand on my third and final entry.
    My current visa expires on the 8th April. Can I apply to have a 30 day extension? If so, when and where should I do it? A few days before it expires? Is it still at the same building you did yours or has it changed?

    The enter before date of my tourist visa is: 26 Feb 2014

    • says

      Hey Robert, thanks, good to hear from you! Yes, you should be able to extend your visa at this same location. Actually I just asked the staff there, and they said you can apply for the extension before your visa expires, and the 30 day extension will start as soon as your real visa expires. Best of luck!

      • Robert Davies says

        Thanks so much. Where do I get this extension to my visa? I have heard that the office has now switched buildings because of the ‘riots’.

        • Robert Davies says

          I have just extended my tourist visa another 30 days and they used the date from when my visa would have expired (8th April) rather than today (21 March).
          It was a relatively painless experience as well, only took just over an our.
          I had to get it done at Imperial World, Ladprao as the immigration office at Chaeng Wattana is still closed.

          Thanks for your help.

  14. Koni says

    Hey Mark !!
    Just read a few post above that as now married to a thai, you’ve managed to get a 60 days extension of stay?

    I’m in that case, my 60 days tourist visa ends on April 26th and i planned to get a 30 days ext. soon (after songkran)
    when I also read on a forum about that 60 days possibility as married to a thai.

    Would love a feedback on the process :
    Did you use it? Any difficulties ?
    I’d also like to be updated about what documents are needed to obtain this extension.
    I heard same as a classic 30 days (passport and visa stamp copies, a photo + 1900Tb) plus Mariage certif, house book of your wife and her presence with you at the office.
    Am I right ? nothing about financial prooves or outbound flight ticket ?

    Thanks in advance for your help. I should be there on 17th-18th as soon as i know when office reopen after songkran :)

    • says

      Hey Koni, Yes you’re absolutely right – that’s what I’ve been doing since I got married. I keep meaning to update this article with the latest info about being married.

      You need to bring your wife, plus copies of a house contract, her ID, and also copies of your marriage certificate (although to be safe you might actually need your real marriage certificate, because the last time I went, they said they had been getting a lot of fakes and needed the real thing).

      Nope, don’t need to show bank or have any flight.

      60 days really helps! I’ve done it about 5 times already and haven’t had a problem.

      All the best,

      • Koni says

        Thanks Mark. I’ll let you know, will be doing this friday or next one after Songkran.
        Thanks and have a great songkran if in Bangkok !
        (And if so i’d be glad to share a beer one day…) Cheers!

          • Koni says

            So… Mark. It went quite smoothly, and 60 days extension was granted.
            The lady even told me that I could ask 1st for 30 days then to come back for the 60 days, That’s a 90 days extension for a tourist visa if married…
            Wasn’t sure about that and fears that next month another officer would tell me ‘no you already had 30 days’…
            So I just asked for the 60 days as I’ll have to be out of Thailand in june and then will be asking another visa before entrance.
            I’ve been doing all this in the temporary Major Hollywood office on Suksawad road.

            Here was my little feedback 😉

  15. DK says

    Hello, Iam an Indian. Actually i wanted to ask you that, iam in Bangkok right now and i have 10 days left for my 2 month tourist visa to expire. Can indians have a 30 day extention too?

  16. Linda says

    Hi there,
    I want to extend my 60 day tourist visa for another 30 days. Does anyone know if this is possible considering the current conditions (martial law, curfew, etc.)?
    Where do I have to go, is the immigration office still closed?

    Thanks for any help!

    • Linda says

      Also, I want to volunteer and the school sais I only need a tourist visa. On the internet I read that I need a working permit, though.
      Do you know anything about that?

      • Koni says

        You are right even for volunteer you should have a work permit to stay legal.. They might be “kikhiat” 😉 (lazy) to do all the paper work i guess. But be aware that with a tourist visa only you may face both fine and deportation…

      • says

        I’m not fully sure about the requirements for volunteering, but probably the website is correct as they should state the law. Many schools or organization don’t always abide by the laws, but at the same time, it’s not really enforced. All the best.

    • Koni says

      Hi Linda.
      The immigration office at Chaeng Watthana is anounced to reopen on june the 2nd.
      Before that there are still 2 temporary offices at Major Hoolywood suksawak and at Ladphrao. I may advise you to check the forum where all these infos are up to date.
      And from what i’ve heard coup and curfews doesn’t change anything you should still be able to extend.

  17. Jess says


    I need to go get my 30 day extension soon and was wondering how many days in advance I should get it? If I go to get it, say, a week in advance, will the extension start on the day I get it, or on the day my original tourist visa ends?

    Your advice has been immensely helpful! Thank you!

    • Niko says

      Hey Jess!
      Yes you can apply for your extension whenever you want during your last month available on your tourist visa.
      The extension will start at the end of the stamp date from your visa even if you get there 1 or 2 weeks before that end date. It wont start on the day you get it at the immigration office, dont worry.

    • says

      Hi Jess, you can really go to extend any day, and the extension will start as soon as your official date of your visa ends. So you can apply a week in advance and the extension will start the day your other visa ends. All the best.

      • Jess says

        Thanks guys!! That may have been an amateur question of me, but I couldn’t find an answer to that detail anywhere. Just got back from Immigration. Easiest process ever and it only took 45 mins in the actual office! It helped to have all this advice beforehand, though, going into it. :) I’m really glad people take the time to share their experiences, because it’s made mine that much smoother! Cheers!

  18. Al says

    Hi Mark

    Great info! Im a yearly traveler to Thailand and will forever be coming back here if not moving to Thailand!
    I wanted to ask if you have any idea concerning extending a 60 day tourist visa within the 6 month passport expiry time frame and can immigration officers when entering Thailand actually shorten your supposed duration of stay?

    Well im asking all this because i need to know if all will be smooth if i travel a few weeks before i hit the “6 months” passport expired validity time frame.

    Thanks alot

    • says

      Hey Al, hmm I’m honestly not sure about that. However, they often say that you need a passport valid for more than 6 months to enter a country, so it might be a bit risky. If I can find any other details will let you know.

  19. Manuel says

    Hi Mark,
    I wanted to know if I can renew my Non Immigrant ED visa in advance, like a week before the expiry date.

    Thanks Mark

  20. Wink says

    Your information is very useful. It reminds me how the process of extending visa be. What I need to go there is very important. By the way, I found out bus no 52 from Mochit passed across the CAT because last 2 weeks ago I went there for 90 day-stay. If your journey starts from MBK, you can use bus 29 to Mochit or IT square shoppcing center. Thanks !

  21. Jan says

    Hi, I am wondering if I can also make passport photos at Bangkok immigration office. Anyone got any experience? I have been there several times to do my visa extinction but cannot remember if I have seen there any photoshop or photo boot to do passport photos.any help??

  22. Dave says

    Hi Mark,
    I have recently arrived from Oz and found your website, most informative, simply the best.
    I came on a single entry 90 day tourist visa with the proviso of the 30 day extension.
    Being at Surin I thought it would be great to do a side trip to Angkor Wat. Is there a way of getting a visa for the trip. It would only be for a few days.
    Thanks Dave

    • says

      Hey Dave.
      If your visa is a single one and you would like to travel outside of Thailand for a short period inside your visa period, then a re-entry permit will be needed or your tourist visa will be canceled once you’re leaving Thailand.
      I found these infos, but you better should double-check those to be sure :

      ” A re-entry permit must be obtained at the immigration office designated for your area.
      While it states that in an emergency it can be obtained at the airport no member has yet reported whether or not it is possible.
      When applying for a re-entry permit you will need to submit the following :
      * A completed TM-8 form
      * The correct fee
      * A 2″ photo
      * Photocopy of passport (main page, visa page and latest entry stamp)

      Current fees for re-entry permit are 1,000 Baht for a single re-entry. ”

      Hope it helps.

  23. jamie says

    My non b visa will expire in early Feb. Can I get a 30 day extension at Chang wattana for this. I guess this means they will convert my non b to tourist. I want a 3 day tourist extension, not a non b extension. Can I do this?

  24. jamie says

    My Non B visa will expire Feb 13. Can I extend in Bangkok with a 30 day tourist visa? Let me clear. I don’t want to extend my Non B. I want to convert to tourist 30 day extension. Possible? I won’t be starting my new job for a month or 2.
    Help me with knowledge please.

    • Crista says

      Hi! Any update on this one? I’m planning to do the same and I don’t want to go outisde Bangkok to process my visa.

  25. Johnathan says

    Hi Mark, is it possible to do the 30 day extension on a multi trip tourist visa, or only on a single?

  26. sue says

    hi Mark, thanks for the info and it is very easy to understand. i have a inquiry, i’m currently holding a single entry 60 days visa and will definately extend it to stay a total of 90 days. After 90 days will go to a neighboring country to apply again the 60 days visa then extent again to make it 90 days, so this 2nd time 30 days extension would it be rejected by immigration and how many times am i allow to do this 90 days visa?

    • says

      Hey Sue, you should be fine. But one idea to reduce the amount of times you apply for a visa is to go somewhere where you can apply for a double entry, that way you get two visas in one application. So far I don’t think there’s any official limit to the amount of visas you can get.

  27. richard says

    I am planning to travel to bangkok this july. I’m planning to stay for 1month and 20days. My 1month stay will be covered by the 30days free stay on stamp on arrival right?. How can I extend for my 20 days of stay? I have a return flight at august 20. I heard about 30days extension of stay but I do not have a tourist visa I only have on stamp arrival. I came from dubai and wanted to stay in thailand for 1month and 20days, I have ticket going to Philippines on August 20,2015.

    • says

      Hey Richard !
      If you’re in with a 30 days visa exemption I think you could only extend for 7 days more. The 30 days extension is for tourist visa only… Maybe things have change though, as they often change rules… Maybe Mark will know.
      But why don’t you just get a classic 2 months tourist visa? Easy to obtain and then you’ll enjoy your stay in Thailand without anything else to do and think about.. :)

      • chard says

        can i go anytime at any immigration offices for my 30days extension? or is there a specific date i can go within my 30day free stay? i came from dubai and il stay in thailand then go back to philippines.

        “The 30 days extension is for tourist visa only” i only have 30days free on stay when I arrive at the airport not tourist visa,right? am i still able for the 30day extension?hope so.

        Where can i get 2 months tourist visa? Do i need to exit to Laos? or can i get it at bangkok imigration once i arrive?

        Your response is highly appreciated

        • says

          Hi Chard, if you fly into Thailand on 30 days you can extend I think just by 7 days, I’m not sure of the latest. But if you go outside of Thailand, you can then apply for a 60 day tourist visa, and then once in Bangkok, you can apply for a 30 day extension, making it 3 months altogether.

          To answer your first question, you can go to immigration at any point in your 30 days (or 60 days) and get an extension and it will start once the 30 days is over.

          All the best!

        • says

          Hey Richard! As Mark and I said if you arrived withouth visa you’ll be granted a free 30 days of stay BUT only 7days as an extension so all in a row it will be 37 days for 1900bahts.
          If you apply for a 2 months tourist visa BEFORE departure you will pay about the same but will be in for 60 days without anything to do then. The tourist visa is done in any Thai embassy or consulate in your country of stay. Usually done in a week (5 days)
          That was the rules last year when I was there for 8 months and after a few researches it seems to still be the same in 2015.
          Only In case you’re married to a Thai citizen you could have the 30 days extension without a 2 months tourist visa. If you’re not i’ll go for a tourist visa of 2 months.
          As Mark said tou can extend anytime during your stay. I’ve been doing this within my 10 last days and neer had any troubles. It’s just a half day spent at immigration office in Bangkok withh all the papers ready.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *