How To Extend Your Thai Visa at Bangkok Immigration

extend thai visa bangkok How To Extend Your Thai Visa at Bangkok Immigration

There is the gigantic Thai immigration building

Note: The information in this article is for those that are in Thailand on a tourist visa which was applied for outside of Thailand (example: If you got a 2 month Thai tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur and want to extend it), and not for those who have just landed or crossed into the country and received a visa upon arrival.

You’re in Bangkok and your 2 month Thai tourist visa is just about to expire but you want to extend your Thai visa by 30 days to stay longer. What do you do?

The process is actually not too difficult and I think the most painful part is saying goodbye to 1,900 Thai Baht.

Here’s What You Need:

• Your passport
  • 1,900 Thai Baht
  • 1 filled in application (get it at the immigration office)
  • 1 passport photo (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm, they aren’t too picky like some places)
  • 1 photocopy of your passport, you current Thai visa, and your stamps into the country

Unlike other inconvenient visa procedure offices around the world, the Thai immigration is remarkably convenient.

You can get all your photocopies done once you’re there for just 1 Baht per page. Just walk to the photocopy center, tell them what you’re applying for and they will make the exact photocopies you need.

Note: You need to have a valid phone number and Thai address to extend your Thai visa – you will be asked!

Steps to Extending Your Thai Visa

• The Thai Immigration office in Bangkok opens at 8:30 am. I normally just show up at about 9 am or so.
  • Go to the Immigration Division 1 room, go to the counter, and tell them you want to extend your Thai visa by 30 days. They will look at your passport and give you the necessary form.
  • Fill out the form, make your photocopies as needed, attach your passport photo, and then go back to the counter. They will let you proceed to the next room.
  • Get a waiting number, which will take you to section J2.
  • Once your number is called you walk into the office, the immigration officer will look over your application, ask you a question or two, and then accept your 1,900 THB.
  • You’ll go back to wait for a few minutes (normally has taken me anywhere from 10 – 30 minutes) and wait to hear your number again.
  • Once your number is called the second time, walk back in and simply pick up your passport with you extended Thai visa.

The process at Thai immigration normally takes me about 1 hour.

You’ll get 30 more days.

How To Get To Thai Immigration in Bangkok

Located way out on Chaeng Watthana Road and not too far from Bangkok’s Don Mueng Airport, it’s not the most convenient of locations.

Of course, you could easily take a taxi all the way there, but here’s how I get there by local transportation.

Take the BTS Skytrain to Mo Chit Station. Get out towards Chatuchak Weekend Market and get on bus #29 (about 8 Baht) heading north. Get off the bus at IT Square shopping center. From there you have to walk down Chaeng Watthana Road to the west, heading towards Pak Kret, then cross over the street and take bus #356 (9 THB) to Cat Telecom.

At Cat Telecom make a left onto the street, and the easiest thing to do is take a motorcycle for 20 Baht to the entrance of the immigration office.

Address: No. 120 Mu 3 Chaeng Watthana Soi 7 Thung Song Hong, Laksi Bangkok 10210
Hours: Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm but closed for lunch break form 12 noon – 1 pm. Office closed on weekends and holidays.

If you’re looking for awesome things to do in Bangkok, be sure to check out my guide!

View Migrationology World Map in a larger map

Comments

Hey Jamal, the new video on Wednesday will publish on YouTube, but on this website I’ll publish that same video on Sunday each week! Thank you very much for following!

Great blog Mark, I like all your articles. How did you manage to stay in Thailand for so long? Are you a PR now? Or are you doing visa run? Hope you don’t mind me asking this.

Hey Vincent, I’ve done quite a few visa runs, and I’m still on a tourist visa. However, I’m now engaged and will get married to a Thai, so things will change in the future. Have you lived, or are you living in Thailand?

It took me 6 hours last time I did it. It was a monday. Some people told me, it’s better to avoid this day of the week because like to go on monday. Sounds stupid but…

3. Happytravels says

Hi Mark, thanks for the very helpful article. I have a double entry visa (which was obtained when I was in Laos) and am on the first part the visa (the first 60 days). How’s does the visa extension work? Can I go to immigration now and they will tag the 30 extension onto day 60 or do I literally have to go there on 59th day and then request an extension? Thanks in advance for your help.

You have to go there on the last day that your visa expires (or a few days before), and it will be valid immediately as you get it… so no, you can’t get it ahead it ahead of time and save it for when your visa expires.

All the best!

Great guide Mark. Just used it today. Took about an hour. Wanted to add a few updates to help anyone else:

- From Mo Chit BTS station you can jump in a taxi-van to the Government complex for 25 Baht
    - There is a free shuttle bus (red) that will take you from the entrance of the complex to the immigration building, no need to hire a moto taxi.
    - Copy machines and photo printing is available inside the immigration building (bottom floor).
    - I successfully received a 7 day extension on my 15 day overland visa this way

• Cameron says

An immigration officer at Chaeng Wattana told me a few months back that one could get two 60-day extensions of the tourist visa based on marriage – I already have one and would like to get another to have time to replace my British passport (at the cheaper rate that becomes effective on April 7 – but takes four weeks, which means for me the passport comes back after the current visa has expired.)

Anyone have any insights, experiences?

Hi Cameron, good to hear from you. I’m not totally sure about this one. I recently go married to my Thai wife, and I can extend my tourist visa by 60 days 1 time, but hadn’t heard about 2 times. Hopefully someone here can help!

I actually have a non-immigrant visa type F which is valid in 3 months from July – October/2013, I want to extend my visa to the 1 year type. I was wondering how long I would have to wait until i can get my visa back? I have official papers too. A friend of mine said it would take 2 weeks, 3 weeks tops. But some also say it can take up to 4 weeks? Thank you

6. REza says

Please accept my appreciation , bcoz it was my anxiety . Tomorrow i will go there and i hope as you mentioned already , it be easy …
    could you please tell me , can I change my tourist 2 entry visa into student (ED VISA)?
    how much does it cost?

7. Joshy says

Are you sure that the extension starts from the day you apply. In the thread on “http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/431925-how-to-extend-your-tourist-visa-a-guide/” says the extension will be applied to the end of the expiry date irrespective of when you go?

that is very helpful. I’m planning right now my next trip to thailand with the wish of staying 3 months. So that sounds like the perfect solution: applying for a 2 months visa before travelling, then extending it by 30 days.

But like Joshy asked do you know if the extension starts the day you apply or at the end of your visa?

Thank you!

Moutassem
    a fellow blogger who loves to travel

Hey Moutassem,

Great to hear from you and that you’re planning on coming to Thailand for a few months. I always thought that the visa extension started on the day you applied for it, but I’m actually not totally sure. I’m going there in a couple of weeks and I’ll ask!

9. albert cabrera says

Hi,just checking that USA can go to Chaeng Watthana Road” to extend Visa for 30 days,there
    website made it seem to accommodate those living in Bangkok.

10. Joel says

Hey Mark, first things first: me and my cousin absolutely love your food videos. Whenever i feel down i just watch your face go into pure.enjoyment mode when you taste something in one of your videos.and.my day’s good again:D.

Anyway. I’ve got a double entry visa and.im.about to enter thailand fromIndia. Having been.in thailand before, i can already tell i probaly waant to extend this into.another double entry visa when this one runs out (im planning to stay for some time in thailand.and rent a place.). Do you know if this is at all possible??

Cheers! And keep the videos comming! :D

Hey Joel, thank you so much for watching my video, I highly appreciate it. Yes, that should be fine. You should have any problem renting a place on a tourist visa, as long as you fork out the money and deposit. Best of luck, and thanks again!

11. bossel says

Hi!

Thanks for the info. I just have one question.
    For the tourist visa which I got in Guangzhou, China, I had to provide a flight ticket. This is not necessary for the extension here in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance!

12. m a mannan says

planning for travel thailand within this week……welcome me n my friend….actually we lover….where to travel…which will be better, please let me know…

13. Robert Davies says

Hey Mark,

Great website. I like it a lot. The new Richard Barrow!!

I have a 3 entry tourist visa and am in Thailand on my third and final entry.
    My current visa expires on the 8th April. Can I apply to have a 30 day extension? If so, when and where should I do it? A few days before it expires? Is it still at the same building you did yours or has it changed?

The enter before date of my tourist visa is: 26 Feb 2014

Hey Robert, thanks, good to hear from you! Yes, you should be able to extend your visa at this same location. Actually I just asked the staff there, and they said you can apply for the extension before your visa expires, and the 30 day extension will start as soon as your real visa expires. Best of luck!

• Robert Davies says

Thanks so much. Where do I get this extension to my visa? I have heard that the office has now switched buildings because of the ‘riots’.

• Robert Davies says

I have just extended my tourist visa another 30 days and they used the date from when my visa would have expired (8th April) rather than today (21 March).
          It was a relatively painless experience as well, only took just over an our.
          I had to get it done at Imperial World, Ladprao as the immigration office at Chaeng Wattana is still closed.

Thanks for your help.

14. Koni says

Hey Mark !!
    Just read a few post above that as now married to a thai, you’ve managed to get a 60 days extension of stay?

I’m in that case, my 60 days tourist visa ends on April 26th and i planned to get a 30 days ext. soon (after songkran)
    when I also read on a forum about that 60 days possibility as married to a thai.

Would love a feedback on the process :
    Did you use it? Any difficulties ?
    I’d also like to be updated about what documents are needed to obtain this extension.
    I heard same as a classic 30 days (passport and visa stamp copies, a photo + 1900Tb) plus Mariage certif, house book of your wife and her presence with you at the office.
    Am I right ? nothing about financial prooves or outbound flight ticket ?

Thanks in advance for your help. I should be there on 17th-18th as soon as i know when office reopen after songkran :)

Hey Koni, Yes you’re absolutely right – that’s what I’ve been doing since I got married. I keep meaning to update this article with the latest info about being married.

You need to bring your wife, plus copies of a house contract, her ID, and also copies of your marriage certificate (although to be safe you might actually need your real marriage certificate, because the last time I went, they said they had been getting a lot of fakes and needed the real thing).

Nope, don’t need to show bank or have any flight.

60 days really helps! I’ve done it about 5 times already and haven’t had a problem.

All the best,
      Mark

• Koni says

Thanks Mark. I’ll let you know, will be doing this friday or next one after Songkran.
        Thanks and have a great songkran if in Bangkok !
        (And if so i’d be glad to share a beer one day…) Cheers!

• Koni says

So… Mark. It went quite smoothly, and 60 days extension was granted.
            The lady even told me that I could ask 1st for 30 days then to come back for the 60 days, That’s a 90 days extension for a tourist visa if married…
            Wasn’t sure about that and fears that next month another officer would tell me ‘no you already had 30 days’…
            So I just asked for the 60 days as I’ll have to be out of Thailand in june and then will be asking another visa before entrance.
            I’ve been doing all this in the temporary Major Hollywood office on Suksawad road.

Here was my little feedback ;)

15. DK says

Hello, Iam an Indian. Actually i wanted to ask you that, iam in Bangkok right now and i have 10 days left for my 2 month tourist visa to expire. Can indians have a 30 day extention too?

16. Linda says

Hi there,
    I want to extend my 60 day tourist visa for another 30 days. Does anyone know if this is possible considering the current conditions (martial law, curfew, etc.)?
    Where do I have to go, is the immigration office still closed?

Thanks for any help!

• Linda says

Also, I want to volunteer and the school sais I only need a tourist visa. On the internet I read that I need a working permit, though.
      Do you know anything about that?

• Koni says

You are right even for volunteer you should have a work permit to stay legal.. They might be “kikhiat” ;) (lazy) to do all the paper work i guess. But be aware that with a tourist visa only you may face both fine and deportation…

I’m not fully sure about the requirements for volunteering, but probably the website is correct as they should state the law. Many schools or organization don’t always abide by the laws, but at the same time, it’s not really enforced. All the best.

• Koni says

Hi Linda.
      The immigration office at Chaeng Watthana is anounced to reopen on june the 2nd.
      Before that there are still 2 temporary offices at Major Hoolywood suksawak and at Ladphrao. I may advise you to check the forum Thaivisa.com where all these infos are up to date.
      And from what i’ve heard coup and curfews doesn’t change anything you should still be able to extend.

17. Jess says

Hi!

I need to go get my 30 day extension soon and was wondering how many days in advance I should get it? If I go to get it, say, a week in advance, will the extension start on the day I get it, or on the day my original tourist visa ends?

Your advice has been immensely helpful! Thank you!

• Niko says

Hey Jess!
      Yes you can apply for your extension whenever you want during your last month available on your tourist visa.
      The extension will start at the end of the stamp date from your visa even if you get there 1 or 2 weeks before that end date. It wont start on the day you get it at the immigration office, dont worry.

Hi Jess, you can really go to extend any day, and the extension will start as soon as your official date of your visa ends. So you can apply a week in advance and the extension will start the day your other visa ends. All the best.

• Jess says

Thanks guys!! That may have been an amateur question of me, but I couldn’t find an answer to that detail anywhere. Just got back from Immigration. Easiest process ever and it only took 45 mins in the actual office! It helped to have all this advice beforehand, though, going into it. :) I’m really glad people take the time to share their experiences, because it’s made mine that much smoother! Cheers!

18. Al says

Hi Mark

Great info! Im a yearly traveler to Thailand and will forever be coming back here if not moving to Thailand!
    I wanted to ask if you have any idea concerning extending a 60 day tourist visa within the 6 month passport expiry time frame and can immigration officers when entering Thailand actually shorten your supposed duration of stay?

Well im asking all this because i need to know if all will be smooth if i travel a few weeks before i hit the “6 months” passport expired validity time frame.

Thanks alot

Hey Al, hmm I’m honestly not sure about that. However, they often say that you need a passport valid for more than 6 months to enter a country, so it might be a bit risky. If I can find any other details will let you know.

19. Manuel says

I wanted to know if I can renew my Non Immigrant ED visa in advance, like a week before the expiry date.

Thanks Mark

20. Wink says

Your information is very useful. It reminds me how the process of extending visa be. What I need to go there is very important. By the way, I found out bus no 52 from Mochit passed across the CAT because last 2 weeks ago I went there for 90 day-stay. If your journey starts from MBK, you can use bus 29 to Mochit or IT square shoppcing center. Thanks !