How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

8263578084 1915398b8c o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Welcome to Thailand!

Have you snacked on insects, worms, or bugs?

Welcome to Thailand, where snacking is not only a way to satisfy your craving, but it’s a leisure way of life.

Throw away your artificial bag of chips and preserved cookies, because fresh bugs are widely available and waiting to be your next snack!

Sometimes edible insects are cooked within certain Thai dishes, but most of the time they are deep fried until reaching a complete state of crispiness, heavily salted, and eaten as a protein enriched snack.

Throughout Thailand you’ll be able to locate carts piled high with freshly cooked bugs, and grabbing an exotic snack is one of the top things to do while you’re in Bangkok!

[box type="note" border="full" icon="none"]How to eat scary insects, worms, and bugs in Thailand! (via @migrationology)
- Click here to tweet[/box]

8262512757 5bbe128dc3 o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

A portable bug street cart

It’s like a mass bug graveyard, abundant piles of creatures on big platters. An insect cart in Thailand will often include 5 – 10 different choices.

Many of the street food insect carts are attached to portable motorbikes or bicycles so they can cruise around to find customers, who are often beer drinkers craving salty snacks.

eating bugs insects How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Bat full of edible insects, worms, and bugs!

To order you simply point and choose to whatever bite sized bugs look the most attractive.

20 THB will get you a small snack, but this time around I ordered a mixed bag full of 100 THB worth of bugs – and believe me, it was way too much for two of us.

8262509867 6aa50b2601 o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Let’s start eating!

Once you’ve chosen your bag of insects, worms, and bugs, the vendor will normally give them a mist of soy sauce from a spray bottle and a dash of pepper to top them off.

While eating dog and cat can cause some phsycological trauma, bugs on the other hand are much less nerve racking to eat. Some of them are a little scary looking, but just keep in mind that they are all safe and harmless to devour!

Now it’s time to EAT!

8262503863 3a7d616c92 o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

What kind of bug may I serve you?

Here’s what’s on our menu (top to bottom):

1. Grasshoppers
  2. Giant water bugs
  3. Crickets on steroids
  4. Silk worms
  5. Bamboo worms
  6. Crickets

They are all prepared in a very similar fashion, deep fried to a crisp and nicely salted.

8263576574 9787666c74 o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Grasshoppers

1. Grasshoppers

Grasshoppers are one of the top attractions on any Thai bug cart. Most of them are around 10 centimeters or so in length and are cooked fully in tact.

Eating Method: Plop the entire grasshopper into your mouth in a single bite.

How Does It Taste: Forget about potato chips, these guys are way crunchier, more like a deep fried piece of pork skin yet much lighter and airy. Grasshoppers do have a little bit of a bug flavor, but mostly take on the flavor of salt and pepper.

As soon as you bite down, the entire carcass of grasshopper is reduced kind of like Cheetos.

8263574094 cd5593de0a o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Giant Water Bugs

2. Giant Water Bugs (แมงดา)

Giant water bugs in Thailand are known as maeng daa (แมงดา), and their essence is commonly extracted and added to special Thai nam prik chili sauces.

I have also eaten them in boiled form which makes for quite an interesting snack.

Eating Method: In order to eat a giant water bug you need to first amputate the hard outer wings. Pull them off before digging into the meat and eggs of the body, and finally fish out all the meat from the head.

How Does It Taste: Giant water bugs have a highly distinct flavor that is reminiscent of black licorice or anise. The body is a bit juicy, and to me it tastes a bit like scrambled eggs, while the head tastes more like sour mushy crab.

8262515767 acfe010b99 o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Crickets on Steroids

3. Crickets on Steroids

I don’t actually know what these bugs are, I just know they look pretty scary and appear to be crickets gone wild! Big bulging eyes and gnarly legs and claws make these crickets on steroids a little frightening to look at.

Eating Method: The entire bug is edible, so just go ahead and toss the entire thing in your mouth.

How Does It Taste: These crickets on steroids have some seriously razor sharp legs. When I was eating them I nearly cut the inside of my mouth. Flavor wise they weren’t anything special, far less tasty than a grasshopper, and the crunchiness didn’t permeate through the entire body, leaving some parts mushy instead of crispy.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to pull off the nasty legs prior to consumption.

8263579710 87e10ea7c1 o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Silk Worms

4. Silk Worms

Silk worm in Thailand are deep fried but they are the least crispy bug of this snack. These little 1 to 2 centimeter worms are kind of like fried little mashed potatoes or gnocchi pasta (Italian potato pasta) bites.

Eating Method: Silk worm are like little pills, you swallow the entire thing, and they really go down quite easily.

How Does It Taste: Silk worms have a very familiar nutty taste, almost peanut-ty I would say. Like I mentioned, they are the texture of mashed potatoes or mushed mungbeans. Just like all the other insects and bugs on this list, they take on the heavily salted flavor.

8262508573 e7987b6c8f o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Bamboo Worms

5. Bamboo Worms

Another Thai favorite bug to eat are thin white bamboo worms which are about 2 – 3 centimeters in length.

If you’re not excited about eating bugs, but still want to say you did it, I’d recommend having a sample of bamboo worms. They are very neutral tasting and if you didn’t know they were worms, you may think it was just a cheese-less Cheeto.

Eating Method: Just like the other silk worms, you just pop these guys like you’re munching on popcorn at a movie.

How Does It Taste: They really don’t have a distinct flavor to me, and eating them is quite similar to eating popcorn in both taste and texture.

8263583212 f546b2debd o How to Eat Scary Insects, Worms, and Bugs in Thailand

Crickets

6. Crickets

Normal sized crickets, as opposed to their steroid pumped up counterparts, are small and innocent looking without being ferociousness.

They are about the same size as silk worms, 1 – 2 centermeters in length.

Eating Method: Again, the whole thing is edible, so just go ahead and grab a handful and start snacking.

How Does It Taste: Crickets indeed have a rather strong bug flavor. Imagine what a bug might taste like, and that’s exactly how a cricket tastes. Crickets also give a slight dryness to the mouth, almost like a sip of dry wine.

What’s the best tasting bug?

Silk worms are pretty decent, bamboo worms are even better, but I got to give my award to grasshoppers. In my opinion, they are the crunchiest and best flavored bug of the entire Thai edible insect repertoire.

None of the bugs are bad, in reality most of the bugs are far less flavorful than you would imagine, and are simply just crispy and salty.

There you have the ultimate guide to eating insects, worms, and bugs in Thailand. There are also many more edible creatures like red ants (which I particularly love) and scorpions as well, but these are the standard bugs included on many of the snacking carts.

So grab a bag of bugs now!

Did you love this post?

Comments

Everything looks… errr… yummy. I have eaten grasshoppers and crickets. I MAY try the crickets on steroids, silk worms, and bamboo worms. But I need more courage to be able to put those water bugs into my mouth. Eeeeek!They’re ginormous!! So amusing that you were able to make a post on how to eat these bugs! :)

Thanks Marianne, I appreciate you leaving a comment. The good thing about the water bugs is that you pull off the wings and pull apart the body and just kind of eat what’s inside, instead of chomping on the whole thing. But I still think grasshoppers are my favorite!

I really do not think I could eat those really large insects. It’s one thing to pop something small in your mouth, but when you have to CHEW… the thought of that is already hitting my gag reflex. I think this would be my biggest challenge traveling in that part of the world. I would WANT to try them, but I don’t know if I could get over the gross-out factor.

I have just never felt the need to eat bugs in Thailand when there are so many other tasty dishes everywhere. I see an insect cart and a tasty meat skewer cart next to each other, I always go the meat skewers :)

Number 3 is จักกจัน (jahk jahn), which I’m pretty sure is a cicada.

The water bug was the hardest for me to eat, I felt sick just putting it in my mouth (looks too much like a giant cockroach for me). Bamboo worms are pretty good, just like French fries!

I did on the other hand LOVE scorpions, even though they aren’t insects. It tasted like oysters.

Hey Alex, cool, thanks for the identification. Those guys have some sharp claws! Do you like the essence of maeng da when it’s in a nam prik? I like pretty well in nam prik.

I still haven’t ever had a scorpion, but will try it at any opportunity I have in the future!

Excellent! :-) Thank you for testing the water bug – I was only brave enough for the worms and grasshoppers. The Bamboo worms were my fav, just like salty popcorn :-)

Hey Sarah, yah bamboo worms are excellent! These water bugs are better fried like this. I’ve had them a few times boiled and while they are alright, they kind of taste like bad scrambled eggs!

A shame you only went for the big, photogenic stuff. Many kinds of larvae are quite delicious as are bees.

Be advised, readers, that many times insects are not simply netted, but killed with pesticides which preparation and cooking do not completely remove.

Hi Darryl, yes there are plenty of other bugs and larvae that ar delicious. I particularly enjoy red ant eggs, in both soups and omelets. However this article highlights the insects that are normally included on many of the roaming snack carts. Thanks for the head up about pesticides.

I only touch one when I was in South-East Asia; to eat them I did not have the guts :D. I might try next time but to be honest I prefer normal food.
    Did you feel well after you eat it?

Hi Cristal, this was actually in Nakhon Pathom, about 1 hour away from Bangkok. In Bangkok you normally have to locate these types of insects either at night markets or on roaming motorbike vendors. Hope you can find some!

Mark, I know it might sound crazy, but I had them all during my last visit in Thailand and I am going to have them again in two weeks. Grasshoppers are my favourite ones! So crispy, but too oily. I used to put a lot of salt on the top to make them taste better. I know many people who hate eating them, but for me it was a real treat!

Hey, great to hear that Agness! They are very good, and the only reason I don’t eat them often is because they are too oily. I agree, grasshoppers are the best!

Brilliant post! I studied entomology in college, and love bugs though I’ll break my vegetarianism to eat them when I find them :) I wouldn’t have the guts to try any of those larger bugs.

Silk worms! That’s what those are! I tried them in Ecuador last month, sold by a street vendor in Otavalo! I’ve had crickets in Mexico–I had to take the legs off first, I was afraid of them getting stuck in my teeth–that happened back in college when a friend gave me some chocolate covered crickets. They were fine until I realized there were some stringy things stuck between my teeth. That killed the fun :)

Way to go ! One must be bold enough to eat these exotic stuff.I would rather see them crawling in my backyard than have them sizzling on my platter.

In my last Thailand holiday I tried the bamboo worms once. It tasted not bad. The others like Grasshoppers, Giant water bugs or Crickets on steroids. I was equally bad then.

12. Boris Sojka says

To no avail, I tried to convince my hosts that for every dragon fly larvae we were eating we were allowing a thousand mosquitoes to live and feed on us. The dragon fly larvae are very tasty however!

13. nokhook says

1. วิธีกิน ตั๊กแตน ผิด ต้องหักหัวมันออก แล้วเอาไส้สีดำทิ้งไป ก่อนที่คุณจะกินมัน เพราะ ตั๊กแตนกินพืชไร่ที่ชาวไร่นิยมฉีดยาฆ่าแมลง และมันจะสะสมในใส้สีดำ ถ้ากินทั้งตัวอาจ จะมีอาการท้องเสียอย่างรุนแรง เอามันออกก่อนกิน ปลอดภัยกว่า

2. ตัวสีขาว ไม่ใช่หนอนไหม มันเป็นหนอนไม่ไผ่ ตัวอ่อนของผีเสื้อกลางคืนชนิดหนึ่ง มีเฉพาะภาคเหนือของไทย และอยู่บนภูเขาสูง มันเป็นหนอนที่สะอาดที่สุด เพราะกินเยื่อไผ่เป็นอาหาร อย่างเดียวเท่านั้น ไม่สามารถเพาะเลี้ยงได้ ราคาจึงค่อนข้างแพง ( 1 kilo 1700 bath ) ในฤดูฝนราคาจะถูกกว่า ( 1 kilo 1400 bath) หรือคุณจะเรียกมันว่า หนอน รถด่วน ก็ได้ เพราะเวลาทอดแล้วรูปร่างมันเหมือนรถไฟ

3. หนอนไหม คือตัวที่คุณกิน ตัวกลม สีน้ำตาลเข้ม รสชาติเหมือน เนย ผสม ถั่ว มันๆ มีกลิ่นคาวเล็กน้อยเพราะอุดมไปด้วยโปรตีน

You’re braver than I. That water bug looked huge! I wouldn’t be able to stop thinking about their internal organs, heart, kidneys etc…