Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe and Adventure

7696624262 69c805bf5c o Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe and Adventure

Eating Sri Lankan pol sambol in Jaffna, Sri Lanka

Though I thoroughly enjoyed just about all the Sri Lankan food I tasted on my visit, I developed an unstoppable addiction to something known as pol sambol.

Sri Lankan pol sambol is a shredded coconut garnish that includes just a few simple ingredients mixed together into perfect harmony.

Grandma, who cooked the best curry in the world, would prepare pol sambol each morning for breakfast, fueling my addiction!

With fresh ingredients, it’s easy to make – so easy in fact that I decided to jot down this recipe so you can make it yourself.

7696625646 54eb31f028 o Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe and Adventure

This is all you need for a Sri Lankan culinary adventure

Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe

Ingredients:

• 300 grams of fresh shredded coconut (mature firm coconut that’s used to make coconut milk, not the young soft coconuts)
  • Around 2 – 4 spoons of chili powder
  • Around 1/2 spoon of salt
  • 5 – 10 cloves of raw garlic
  • 1 – 2 small red onion
  • 2 limes

Six ingredients, that’s it!

Just remember, these are just suggested amounts, you may need more or less of any of the ingredients, start off using less and do a lot of taste testing until it tastes right to you. You are the judge.

7696624662 65ff8ae997 o Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe and Adventure

The key ingredient in shredded coconut

Being in Thailand at the time, I did cheat and buy pre-shredded coconut, instead of having to shred my own. However, you can also get a whole coconut and shred it yourself.

7696626136 74d511896d o Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe and Adventure

Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix… that’s about it!

Shred the coconut, mince the garlic, mince the onion and toss it all into a mixing bowl.

Add salt and chili powder, and finally squeeze in the juice from 1 lime first (more later).

Start mixing the pol sambol with the tips of your fingers – work it like you’re massaging someone’s shoulder. Begin to twist and lightly squeeze until all ingredients are equally coating the coconut (see video below).

At this point the pol sambol should be orange in color.

sri lankan pol sambol recipe Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe and Adventure

Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe

Taste it. More salt, chili, or lime juice? Add more.

Mix it again. Taste the pol sambol again.

Sri Lankan pol sambol should be a little bit spicy, sour (but not overpowering) from the lime juice, and salty to suit your own taste.

7696627190 05d352aa0f o Sri Lankan Pol Sambol Recipe and Adventure

Pure culinary delight – Sri Lankan pol sambol

While I was in Sri Lanka I often enjoyed pol sambol along with roti paratha bread or as a side with a rice and curry feast. But pol sambol is so good, it’s even delicious scooped up with little bites of bread.

Lastly, here’s the video including the recipe that we just covered, and a little adventure to go with it:

And yes, I really did wake up with a pol sambol craving!

Comments

1. Oshan Siriwardena says

Wow, it’s really nice to see you make your own Pol Sambol. It’s true that it’s an easy to make dish. But I would like to give you some advice, please don’t eat too much Sambol straight away. Because when you eat too much fresh coconut at a time, you may have some stomach troubles. Also too much chili powder can harm your liver. :)

You can eat small amount of Pol Sambol for many times instead of eating a large quantity for a 1 or 2 times. (Just a free advise)

hoi, mark,
    pol sambal is nice ,when see your pol sambal ,i am getting wet mouth, (like your dream)
    city of ambalangoda is very famous for sri lanka (south) but we never use garlik.
    for breakfast,lunch,dinner, times we make teaste with rice,roti,paan(bread) hoppers,
    you are correct, it is easy and teast

heam nl

3. Seb Taylor says

I used to work in Sri Lanka, and like you I became addicted to pol sambol. I’m now based in New Delhi, and I’m going to make some p.s. for the office crew as a little surprise this week, so thanks for the reminder of basic ingredients.

I remember finding that recipes always varied though, and I think the coconut, lime and chilli are the only real constants. Personally I always add a little garlic and shallot/onion (mashed together into a paste), but I know these are left out by some. Another thing I always added when I was back in London was Maldive fish, but such is the way of the world nowadays that, while I could find it easily in London, there’s next to no chance here in Delhi. Anyone in London wondering where – go to areas with high SL Tamil populations such as Tooting or Wembley.

Other ingredients I also add sometimes are some coarsely crushed black pepper and minced curry leaves. I know some people temper the leaves in a little hot oil and then mix it in too (what you’d call a tadka here in north India).

Hey Seb, great, thanks a lot for sharing, and great to hear you also love pol sambol. Even in just my short 3 week visit to SL I noticed quite a few variations – all of them being wonderful. And just like you, I love garlic and shallots in there too! Making me hungry again too!

4. Anne says

I lived in Sri Lanka for several years and also became totally addicted to pol sambol! I bought a coconut scraper while I was there so I am able to grind my own fresh coconut. Like Seb above, I alter my ingredients just a little – I add finely diced tomatoes, I don’t use garlic, and I do use black pepper in addition to the chili powder. My mouth is watering just thinking of this dish. YUM! I miss all of the curries, string hoppers, kotu roti, indiappas… and so much more. Thank you for sharing!

5. Dani says

The proper way to make pol sambol is in a mortar pestle….. put all the ingredients in and basically bash it :) but a food processor does the same job…..

6. Thushan Rajika says

oh i m fr SL. man ur pol sambol video had been shearing in 10000′s. its on many fb pages. n comments in 1000′s also. man u gonna b a star dude. KEEP IT UP. (y)

7. Alia says

It looks absolutely delicious. Slightly different from how I was taught. My recipe uses coconut, red chili powder, chopped green chili, Maldive dried fish, lemon juice, mustard seeds. Gonna try your recipe now. Just not as much red chili :-)
    Thanks