Photo: Lunu Miris – Sri Lankan Onions and Chili

7147705807 911aec41e0 o Photo: Lunu Miris   Sri Lankan Onions and Chili

Making Sri Lankan Lunu Miri

I loved Sri Lankan food when I visited.

One thing I couldn’t enough of were all the different sauces and fragrant garnishes. This lunu miris, made by crushing onions and chili powder, was wonderful – especially on egg hoppers!

Comments

Wow, that looks so good! I live in Germany now, and they’re not big on spicy food. I miss spicy, and this photo is making my mouth water!

2. Oshan Siriwardena says

This is one of my favorites, the Chili Sambol (Lunu Miris). Lunu means slat and Miris means Chili. This sambol is made from dried chili, salt, red onions and some pepper. This is better when you use chili peaces instead of chili powder. Then put all these things together and grind them in the grinding stone to get the best taste.

If you add scarped coconut to this then you can get the famous coconut sambol in Sri Lanka.

This Nunu Miris (Chili Sambol) is a very good side dish for Milk Rice, Hoppers and Parata (plane roti). Also there are two types of this sambol which is Lunu MIris (little wet) and Katta Sambol (dry) also. If you fry this katta sambol with some oil, then you can get the chili paste for fried rice.

Wow, thank you so much for sharing Oshan! I learned a lot from what you just wrote. The entire world of chili sauces and sambol pastes is amazing, so many delicious ingredients that add such great flavor to cuisine. So if you add some coconut to the lunu miris, would it be similar to pol sambol?

It’s remarkable how much you know about world food / street food! I like spicy stuff, so this condiment is something I’m definitely making at home!

But you know how to cook everything! I know you’ll be able to make this well. Along with lunu miris, another of my absolute favorite Sri Lankan garnishes is called “pol sambol,” which is shredded coconut, garlic, onions, chili powder, lime juice, and salt – so simple and so delicious!

Lunu Miris – play huge part of Sri Lankan food tradition. We eating “Lunu Miris” with “Kiri bath” in all our traditional & personal occasions. Such as Sinhala & Tamil New year day (14th April), New year day (1st January), Weddings, Birthdays, Anniversary, etc…. So Lunu miris isn’t just a food for Sinhalease. Thank You Mark Wiens for this info.