The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

7157471432 304e328714 b The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Shopping Markets in Bangkok, Thailand

NOTE: My useful Bangkok Guide is now available. Make sure you check it out here!

It’s honestly incredible to think about how many markets are scattered throughout Bangkok. I’ve been on and off living in Bangkok for nearly three years and I still discover new markets in different parts of the city.

Today we’re going to go through 6 of Bangkok’s busiest central markets, shopping havens that cover a variety of merchandise.

7157463326 9bb48f009b o The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Sampeng Market (Yaowarat)

1. Sampeng Market (Yaowarat)

Yaowarat, or Bangkok’s Chinatown, is one of the most exciting and busiest parts of the city. Along with a fantastic array of Thai street food, there are a number of shopping markets.

The most famous is Sampeng Market, a seemingly everlasting sprawl of random trinkets, latest inventions, jewelry, fabric and everything else you can imagine. The market is often jam packed with shoppers, street food carts and transport dollies all scurrying through the narrow aisles.

Sampeng Market is a place where many store owners or market stall vendors in other parts of the city purchase wholesale deals.

Getting There: Easiest to take a river boat to Ratchawong Pier and walk for about 5 minutes to the market
Hours: 9 am – 6 pm

7157465730 1596b4d007 o The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Chatuchak Weekend Market (ซื้อของที่ตลาดนัดจตุจักร)

2. Chatuchak Weekend Market (ซื้อของที่ตลาดนัดจตุจักร)

Easily the most world famous shopping market in Bangkok is the weekend Chatuchak Market – a massive jumble of stalls and permanent stores for the extreme shopaholics.

Everything is available at Chatuchak Market… that is if you know where to look! I’ve spent hours wandering around, looking for something I had seen on a previous visit and had no idea where to ever find it again – it’s that BIG (Hint: if you see a stall you really like, take note of its stall number location so you can come back).

Getting There: Take the BTS to Mo Chit station or MRT to Chatuchak Park
Hours: Saturday and Sunday 9 am – 6 pm and Friday 6 pm – midnight

7157465058 8e615f44fb o The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Saphan Phut (สะพานพุทธ)

3. Saphan Phut (สะพานพุทธ)

As a very local style Bangkok night market, Saphan Phut doesn’t get too much attention form visiting tourists. However, if you’re interested in seeing the latest local trends or observing the modern youth culture of Thailand, Saphan Phut is a great place to see.

While a lot of the clothing and accessories caters towards youth, there’s still a lot of random stalls (and always changing stalls) to be discovered. You may stumble into a vintage rock band t-shirt collection or an army fatigue clothing stand. Be sure to sample the fried squid eggs, particularly famous at Saphan Phut!

Like any of the shopping markets in Bangkok, you never know exactly what you might find!

Getting There: Take boat to Memorial Bridge, Saphan Phut pier
Hours: Night, 7 pm – 2 am

7157464298 c39615a011 o The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Pratunam Market (ประตูน้ำ)

4. Pratunam Market (ประตูน้ำ)

Conveniently located in one of Bangkok’s most happening districts, Pratunam market is among the most thriving shopping markets in Bangkok. The market deals mostly clothing but there’s also a mishmash of other things like Thai souvenirs.

As a wholesale market, it’s not uncommon to see many foreigners from around the world buying in bulk to bring things back to sell in their home countries. Pratunam makes a great home-base when you’re visiting Bangkok if you’re into shopping. There are plenty of accommodation choices in Pratunam, and even some hotels like a Novotel directly above Platinum.

If you’ve had enough winding through the alleys you can always step into the craziness of Platinum Shopping Center, purchase electronics at Pantip Plaza, or even make the short walk to the modern CentralWorld mall.

Getting There: About a 10 minute walk from BTS Chit Lom station
Hours: 9 am – 8 pm

shopping markets in bangkok The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Shopping Markets in Bangkok – Khlong Toey Fresh Market

5. Khlong Toey Fresh Market (ตลาดคลองเตย)

One of Bangkok’s biggest and busiest fresh food markets is Khlong Toey. No matter if you’re looking to buy some fresh fruit or supply an entire restaurant with all necessary ingredients, you can purchase everything at this sprawling market. Amidst the backdrop of modern flashy buildings and sky-rises, butchers slice fresh cuts of meat and vegetables are sold by the bushel.

The market is one of the food distribution hubs of Bangkok, so there’s always plenty of energy and lots to observe. Walking around Khlong Toey is a very interesting and insightful experience in Bangkok.

Getting There: Take the MRT to Khlong Toey station
Hours: 24 hours a day, midday is fine for a visit

Click here to watch my Khlong Toey Market video.

7157468286 fdba9b9d59 o The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Wang Lang Market (ตลาดวังหลัง)

6. Wang Lang Market (ตลาดวังหลัง)

Located across the Chao Phraya River from Bangkok’s Grand Palace and adjacent to Siriraj Hospital, eating and browsing through Wang Lang is one of my favorite things to do in Bangkok.

There’s always an oustanding selection of tantalizing pre-cooked snacks for people on the go as well as a handful of cheap sit down restaurants. Don’t forget to try the deep fried pork and the sweet waffle coconut pancakes (khanom tungtag) – check out this video of Wang Lang here!

bangkok1 The 6 Most Popular Shopping Markets in Bangkok

Along with the abundance of food, Wang Lang market is a popular place to go shopping for trendy clothes or other little locally made gadgets. Catering to lots of students, the prices are pretty decent!

Getting There: River boat to Wang Lang Pier, can get there from Tha Chang Pier
Hours: Great to go midday, anywhere from 10 am – 5 pm

Along with delicious Thai food, browsing and buying things at shopping markets in Bangkok is one reason the city attracts so many visitors. Without the vast amount of entertaining markets, Bangkok wouldn’t be the same!

Comments

I had heard that the street markets in Bangkok were out of control, and this post confirmed it! I popped over and watched your video of the Wang Lang market, and now I can’t wait to try Moo Tod. It looked so good! It blows my mind how much fresh, tasty food there is in Thailand at bargain basement prices!

I really enjoy Wang Lang, but I also like walking around Khlong Toey because it’s one of Bangkok’s largest fresh food markets. I guess in Bangkok, it’s hard to say exactly where the food is better because there’s good food everywhere, but again, I’m a big fan of Wang Lang for food! Chatuchak is probably the best all-around market with everything (apart from fresh food), while Pratunam is really good for clothing and Sampeng is famous for things like fabric, buttons and earrings.

2. Sato says

I’m moving to Bangkok in July and your web site is helping me a lot to get ready for my life in Bangkok. I’m looking forward to visit all the markets you suggested and eat all the foods that made my mouth watery when I was reading in Migrationology. Thank you for this very useful website.

• ahram says

Hi there for everythone planing to come to thailand its good to know yes the food is verry tasty but they put msg on everthing so you have to get food cooked on the spot and ask for ( me aw pongshulot ) wich means no msg all precooked food has msg in it ! I think this is important to know !

I can’t remember the last time I was in Bangkok and I think it’s time to make another visit. This post just confirm it. Thanks for sharing :)

No problem, glad you enjoyed this post! Ahh, cool to hear that, next time you’re in Bangkok you’ve got to try the Khanom Tungtag at Wang Lang Market!

4. Lucky says

Ohh Mark, why didnt you tell me those things, before I left BKK?? Next time I must visit try this Pratunam Market.

Awesome to hear that Jay! Thank you for your support and glad to hear that you’re be moving to Thailand. Are you already in Thailand? When will you be coming?

5. Jane says

Mark, I went to Wang Lang today as recommended. Wow – it was great. So much wonderful food – the sweet snacks were great. Easy to get to and not another falung in sight!

Thanks for telling us about it. Keep up the great work!

6. samira says

hi i,m going to bkk after 5 years and i think it has changed alot.i,ve heard abou chatuchak weekend market from my brother,i will be at montien bangkok hotel which one of these markets is easy to get for me?

Hi Samira, you can get to many of these markets quite easily. To get to Chatuchak just take the MRT to Chatuchak Park or the BTS to Mo Chit. Hope you have a great visit to Bangkok!

7. Mokshada says

I am coming to bangkok in may this yr (2013). im 19 and im coming with family……We were planning to stay at baiyoke hotel……is it a smart choice??? coz i am really into shopping and if i could save a few bucks on the accomodation i would be really grateful…..
    Also i am a pure vegetarien. (no egg also) will that pose a problem in bangkok coz all i saw in the food market was meat….. :)
    BTW great information ….

8. NIHA says

i hope to visit Phuket in this June. i want to know about the places where i can buy clothes, shoes and ornaments etc..

9. Eulene says

Hey mark we are going for holiday to bangkok in feb2014 we are from South Africa and like most we love our food, please could you tel me what kind of meat do you get in bangkok……we love meat but do not eat any cats,dogs meat is it safe to try all the local foods then?

Hey Eulene, good to hear you’ll be coming to Bangkok. Meat is safe to eat in Bangkok, it’s mostly pork, some beef, and seafood. NO dog or cat meat in Bangkok!

10. Vivi says

Glad i found this site! It’s very helpful :)
    By any chance, do you have any suggestion of wholesale places at Bangkok? Specifically artificial flowers & decoration stuff?

Thanks a bunch! Have a great day! :)

• lathoai says

Hey, Mark> I want some information about Bo Bae Market.and Bo Bae Tower. What can I buy from here? And time of operation. Is it a wholesale market? Pratunam and Bo Bae Market . Which one I have to choose to buy cheap and reasonable clothes ?

11. Aurélie says

Hello!!

I’m preparing my trip and I so need your opinion about the program… Is it possible to talk with you via email? or facebook whatever is easier for you…?

Thanks a lot for all of your videos!!
    Aurélie

I’ve been to Bangkok about errrrm a billion times, but realise how little I’ve done and how much more cool stuff there is to see when I read blogs like yours! Thanks for sorting my day out — Wang Lang here I come!

Hi Lucy, cool to hear that, we’re always learning about new and interesting things to do and see – Bangkok is filled with endless possibilities. I think you’ll enjoy Wang Lang.

13. Brad Bright says

Hi Mark, great website, and great video on Bangkok and the way of life in Bangkok!
    I am a 28 year old Australian Man, traveling to Bangkok and also to Phuket with my partner in September this year.
    I was just wondering if there is any particular areas or markets that you would recommend to be a little unsafe or less “touristy” for tourists to visit or find accommodation ?
    Thanks and keep up the good work!
    Brad

Hey Brad, glad that you’ll be visiting Bangkok. Overall, the markets and areas of Bangkok are quite safe. But that being said, it’s still important to keep an eye on your belongings at all times. As for accommodations, there’s no real area to avoid (other than perhaps certain areas of Khlong Toey), but good areas would include Siam, Sathorn, Silom, or anywhere along Sukhumvit. All the best with your trip.

14. Erica says

I am excited to head to Thailand in November for my honeymoon. I am super excited about visiting the markets, but the way we planned our trip we are leaving Bangkok Saturday around noon for Phuket. Do you think its worth it making the trek out to Chatuchak Weekend Market Friday night or should I forgo a trip there and head to one of the other markets?

Hi Erica, it really depends on what you want to get, Chatuchak is a good place for Thai souvenirs and clothes, but you could also go to a different market like Pratunam, or MBK, in the day-time and find similar things. The other thing is that not all shops open on Friday, so it might be best to go somewhere else.

1. […] For shopping, for clothes specially, you should visit Siam Center. You will find all the variety, from international brands to local stuff. You can buy whatever you like in your pocket range. For more economical prices you can visit Pratunam Market. Pratunam is kind of whole sale market while siam center is like collection of many big shopping malls. I read very good article about shopping at http://migrationology.com/2012/05/shopping-markets-in-bangkok/. […]