Getting a Thai visa in Colombo, Sri Lanka is more expensive than getting a Thai visa in Savannakhet, but if you plan on turning a visa run into a trip as well, Colombo is a great option.
I just got back to Thailand after a very enjoyable trip to Sri Lanka and a hassle-less visa application process at the Thai Embassy.
How to Get a Thai Visa in Colombo, Sri Lanka
This is what you’ll need to bring:
- Filled out visa application form (available at the Thai Embassy in Colombo).
- 1 passport photo
- 2 photocopies of passport
- The price is 4,600 Sri Lankan Rupees ($41.75) per 2 months. A double entry visa costs 9,200 LKR ($83.48).
Unlike getting a Thai visa in Yangon, you have the option of getting a 2 month double entry in Colombo. Very convenient!
Information and Procedure
It takes 3 normal business days (4 days altogether) to get a Thai visa in Colombo.
- Day 1: Drop off your documents and money in the morning between 9 am – 11:30 am. I arrived right at 9 am and there were only a few other people at the embassy. It took me less than 20 minutes to finish everything.
- Day 4: Pick-up Thai visa in the afternoon from 2 pm – 3:30 pm. All you have to do is hand them your slip and they will return your passport, shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
NOTE: The visa takes 4 full business days. Example: I applied for my visa on Monday morning and picked it up on Thursday afternoon.
There is a small place across the street that will print and photocopy, but they are very expensive. I paid something like 50 LKR ($0.45) per page. I’d recommend getting getting photocopies and a passport photo before you get to the Thai embassy.
Directions to the Thai Embassy in Colombo
The Thai embassy is located at the Green Lanka Building in Colombo, in the small central business district of the city.
If you are staying right in central Colombo, you might be able to walk to the embassy. If not, you can easily jump in a rickshaw or take a local Colombo bus to get there.
Address: 46/46 Nawam Mawatha 9th Floor, Green Lanka Towers, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/colombo/bic/ (not very informative)
Phone Number: (9411) 230-2500-3
Here’s a map to make it easier:
View Thai Embassy in Colombo, Sri Lanka in a larger map
Join 33192 other food lovers
If you enjoyed this post, get more food and travel updates (for FREE)!
How can I contact you?
Enter your e-mail below to subscribe to updates.