Hidden Treasures at the Local Market in Sanjiang City, Guangxi Province, China

Sanjiang Market

Sanjiang Market

The developing city of Sanjiang in the northern part of Guangxi Province, China, is most likely not what one would call a tourist hotspot.

It’s a rather drab city, a scatter of unkempt businesses, dusty debris filled streets and caravans of overloaded obnoxious construction trucks.

However, as I’ve mentioned before, traveling to me is not so much about the famous attractions, but about checking out local life and cultural practices.

Sanjiang, Guangxi Province, China

Sanjiang, Guangxi Province, China

From the chaotic Long Bien market in Hanoi to the distribution Thiri Mingalar market in Yangon, one thing that I can’t miss in any city is the chance to walk around a local fresh market!

Sanjiang had a great little fresh market exhibiting some fascinating sights and a wide range of smells.

Chicken and Duck Vendors

Chicken and Duck Vendors

The entrance to Sanjiang’s central market was lined with baskets of live chickens and ducks.

Selling Ducks in China

Selling a Duck in Sanjiang, China

In China, chickens and ducks should be purchased alive and self butchered so that they are extremely fresh before being cooked.

Pictured above is a man tying the feet of a duck and getting ready to weigh it before taking it home. The duck was squirming and flapping its wings as it attempted to escape its inevitable fate.

Market in Sanjiang, China

Fresh Vegetables in China

Piles of fresh colorful vegetables are so beautiful to look at (I think so!). The colorful arrangement just makes me want to buy them all and bring them to a local restaurant and have a motherly lady stir fry them up with garlic and chilies!

Market Seller in Sanjiang, China

Market Seller in Sanjiang, China

The man above set up a small table in the middle of the central street of the market with some tasty take-away treats!

Chicken Surgery

Chicken Surgery

Unfortunately I got my camera out just slightly too late and could only capture the evidence of this highly interesting makeshift business.

The man sat on the small wooden stool with a selection of ancient tools and a chopping board. He performed surgery on live roosters, cutting a hole in their sides and pulling out the organ that makes a rooster “cocka-doodle-doo.”

Can you see the blood splotches on the right hand side of the chopping board? That was a pile of the organs he extracted. This was something I had never seen before and I thought it was pretty cool.

Chinese Vegetables, Sanjiang

Vegetables Baskets in Sanjiang, China

Bamboo poles carried with a basket on either side is one of the most common carrying methods in Asia.

When the vendor arrives to the market he/she just takes out the bamboo carrying stick and conveniently places the baskets on the side of the street.

Sanjiang Market, China

Basket of Produce

This technique is a great way to display produce!

Preserved River Fish in Sanjiang, China

Preserved River Fish in Sanjiang, China

Preserved river fish are a speciality in the Sanjiang area of China.

Different Kinds of Chinese Tofu

Different Kinds of Chinese Tofu

There are so many different forms of tofu in China.

This basket was filled witha few varieties, including a kind of tofu that looked like strips of noodles and a kind that resembled some kind of a wrapped up bratwurst.

Roasted Duck and Chicken

Roasted Duck and Chicken

The interior of the local market of Sanjiang was packed out with roasted ducks, chickens, innards and pork odds and ends.

The pleasing aroma and bustling atmosphere was a lovely introduction to local life of Sangjiang, China. Since it was the day before the moon festival, many people were scurrying about trying to purchase the choicest meat.

So though the town of Sanjiang is not the most interesting city, wherever you go there are always hidden treasures to discover at the local market!

Comments

One of the best things about living in China is the food, and to find the most enjoyable we always head to the markets, but that’s the first we’d heard of the chicken surgery – I’ll look out for it from now on. We often use a home-stay in Heibei province and curse the roosters that wake us at dawn, when we’re just wanting a lie-in.

Thanks Steve. I thought the rooster thing was so interesting as well because I have never seen anything like it anywhere else. I fully agree with you though, browsing local markets is one of my favorite things to do in any country I visit.

I gotta be honest, I think the rooster “surgery” thing is disgusting. I try to honor other cultures, but as someone who tries to be extremely mindful about what I eat (that means being largely vegetarian), the meat / poultry / fish aspects of these markets kind grosses me out.

All of that aside, your posts are always informative and engaging – even when they make me a little queasy. :)

Thanks Caanan, I definitely understand about the queasiness, and China doesn’t always treat their animals with much respect. That being said, I think southern China is a great country to eat vegetarian, or semi-vegetarian. Meat is often just eaten for flavoring, and veggies are all over the place – and fresh and delicious!

3. inka says

Being a vegetarian, I certainly appreciate the greens and vegetables, but I simply can’t eat a duck I need to kill myself first or a fish which is staring at me with dead eyes. Having said that, different cultures have different ways of eating, drinking and living and the joy of travel is to watch and find out. Nobody forces you to eat soemthing that won’t go down well, but what’s wrong with looking???( and recording)

Thanks Inka! I agree, seeing different ways for food preparation and how markets are handled around the world is great to observe when traveling. Though I’ll eat almost everything, walking around markets in China, I really noticed the amazing assortment of fresh vegetables – so colorful and beautiful!

4. NLM says

One of the things I like to do when traveling is imagine what my life would be like if I had been born there (I waste MUCH time playing these mental games with myself, lol). For instance, can you imagine being a live duck vendor??

Thanks for the comment! I think trying to imagine what it would have been like to be born there is a great idea! You would really imagine a different perspective of situations in all kinds of different cultures – and hopefully understand them a little more. I love the idea, I’m going to start doing that more too!

I’m not a vegetarian, but there’s no way I could kill my own duck or chicken (hypocritical I know). Very interesting look at a local market and the sounds like a great place for observing local culture.

Thanks Laurel. I think it’s hard to butcher your own meat unless you grew up butchering your own meat when you were a kid. I’ve butchered a few chickens myself, when I lived in Congo, but that was a long time ago…

Your photos are amazing Mark. They really take you there.

That is definitely a market that gives you a whole different perspective on food. I’ve dove for crab and shellfish and killed them for dinner, but I must say, I’d be tempted to buy the whole lot of ducks, drive them out to the country and let them go.

I am a fan of the quick death for our dinner, as the interim, seems like a cruel form of torture. But I guess for the buyer, it means they are getting their dinner fresh.

~ Emme

Thanks a lot Emme. China is not the nicest country to animals, but I guess they’ve been doing things the same for so long in a similar manner – but they do eat fresh meat!

Boy, a health inspector would have a field day here! lol Well, at least no one is going hungry…food abounds…everywhere. Very cool article and I’m still trying to move past the chicken surgeon story. Yikes!!