How to Get a China Visa in Bangkok

Latest Update May 2014 (Thank you to all who have left feedback and latest updates)

Getting a China Visa in Bangkok, Thailand, can be straightforward or it can be extremely challenging. However, one thing is certain, you’ll need to come fully prepared and have all of your documents in order.

china visa How to Get a China Visa in Bangkok

Extra requirements for a China Visa in Bangkok

Here’s what you will need for a visa for China:

• Passport
  • Filled out visa application form – A and B Form
  • Photocopy of passport page and Thai visa or Immigration stamp
  • Photocopy of your latest China visa (if you have been to China previously)
  • Photocopy of your bank statement (in either your own country or Thailand)
  • Invitation letter (this goes mostly for business visas)
  • Employment letter, student letter or student card, company license (if applicable to your type of visa)
  • Photocopy of work permit (if you live and work in Thailand)
  • Two way (roundtrip) plane tickets from Bangkok to China back to Bangkok
  • Hotel reservations in China
  • Invitation letter from you cousins or friend with a photocopy of their passport page and Chinese visa (I think that means only if the person invited you in not Chinese?)

Americans: If you are American, you will need to fill out 2 of each forms, and have 2 passport photos – A and B and 2 photos.

Itinerary: Some people have recommended that you put together and print off a detailed itinerary of exactly where you’ll be going and what you’ll be doing – they might ask as well.

These are the official documents required for getting a China visa in Bangkok. Basically what this is saying, is come well prepared with just about every legal document and its photocopy that you possess.

People have told me recently that they are strict with the employment letter, so if you do have a job, be sure to get a letter officially stating that you’re employed. If you’re a freelancer like I am, or not working at the moment, you’ll probably need to do some persuading.

You can try to pre-download and fill in the forms, but I wouldn’t recommend it as the forms seemed to be different. Not sure if they would accept it, so I didn’t take the risk. It was pretty easy to just show up and fill in the applications there.

5978292078 ce9eef4fa2 o How to Get a China Visa in Bangkok

China Visa Hours in Bangkok

Apply for China Visa:

You must apply for your China Visa in Bangkok on a weekday from 9:00 am – 11: 30 am at the visa application office – different from the Chinese embassy (directions below).

I arrived at about 9: 30 am and though there were a lot of people there, the whole process ran smoothly and went pretty fast.

(My friend Tim Ong, who recently got his China Visa told me that it’s probably best to arrive nowadays about 8 am – 8:30 am to claim a good position in line.)

After walking in, you’ll be greeted by a man with all kinds of application forms. Tell him where you are from and what you want to apply for and he’ll pick the correct application forms out for you.

5977731361 57f4935341 o How to Get a China Visa in Bangkok

China Visa Office in Bangkok

Here are a few things you’ll need to answer on the application form:

• Current occupation
  • Residences and phone number of where you’ll stay in China
  • Medical insurance and number
  • Contact in China (if any)
  • Major family members
  • Other countries you’ve visited in the last 12 months
  • Dates of entering and leaving China

I guess depending on what type of visa you are applying for, they will be more strict about the information. I just applied for a single entry 30 day visa and didn’t have most of this information - and I got the visa.

After filling out your application forms and getting together all of your information for the visa, you grab a ticket number (at the door of the office) and wait for your turn.

It went really fast for me, I only waited about 5 minutes.

You hand in your applications along with your passport. The person at the desk will make sure you filled in everything correctly and then hand you a little pink slip of paper (which you bring back for your passport and visa).

Pick up China Visa:

However fast you decide to get your visa, the pick-up time is at the same location in the afternoon from 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm. You will pay the fee when you go to pick up your visa.

5977731495 33b08cec44 o How to Get a China Visa in Bangkok

Cost of China Visa in Bangkok

How much will the China Visa in Bangkok cost?

That depends quite a bit on where you are from and how quickly you want your visa. Take a look at the chart above to see the prices (as of July 2011).

Single Entry L visas which are usually good for 30 days are the least expensive and the cheapest way to get it is to take 4 days. If you are in a rush, you can choose a faster option, but you pay more.

I’m American and I got a 30 day Tourist L China Visa in 4 days and paid the big 4560 THB ($153.51) fee.

NOTE: You do NOT pay until picking up your visa.

Where is the China Visa office in Bangkok?

5978292242 da174d57ef o How to Get a China Visa in Bangkok

Chinese Embassy Visa Section in Bangkok

The office is located in the Ratchada area of Bangkok – to the northern side of Fortune IT Mall. The visa application section is a separate building from the actual Chinese Embassy.

To get there it’s easiest to take the MRT to Phra Ram 9 station. When you arrive, get out at Exit #1 which will let you out at the base of Fortune IT shopping mall.

Continue walking north (up the street) until you reach Ratchadaphisek Soi 3 (about 5 minutes).

The Chinese visa office is located on the left hand corner, inside the AA Building. Walk down Soi 3 about 5 meters and you’ll find the entrance. From there you’ll proceed through the security checkpoint and walk up 1 flight of stairs and you’re there.

Here’s a map to make it easier:

View China Visa in Bangkok in a larger map

Final note…

Please be aware that there are so many variables and nearly everyone has a different story when it comes to applying for a China visa in Bangkok (some people have no problems, others have many). My advice is to come prepared with all the documents you can come up with, and just go for it.

All the best for getting your visa.

If you have any extra tips / recommendations about your experience, please share them in a comment below, so we can all benefit.

Thank you.

Comments

Just came across your site today for the first time. Very practical. Funny, I was just talking to a friend today about this very thing, getting a Chinese visa in Bankgok, can’t wait to read more of your articles.

2. Mike says

Mark: The good thing is that you can get a one-year muliple entry for $153, but yeah, that’s still steep. Actually, I’m in Chiang Mai now milking the fast, ubiquitous wifi. I haven’t decided what my next country will be. So far, I’ve only been entertaining the idea of China. I’ve still got time left on my Indian visa and may go back. Glad you were able to check out one or more of my cuisine posts. Sampling and falling in love with new and exotic foods is such a great aspects of travel.

Fully agree about the food, there’s no better way to travel than to enjoy the cuisine.

Yah, actually when I applied for my China visa I wasn’t sure what extra documents would be required to get a 1 year visa. Do you know if you need to have an itinerary or some kind of plan to get it? I’m sort of kicking myself now for not looking more into that – would have been nice to have a 1 year visa.

• Kevin says

Mike,

How many days did you wait for you visa? I’m going to try and apply for a 1 year multiple entry visa and get it in 1 day. The China embassy website doesn’t really work and I’m out of the city for a while so I’m trying to figure out if this is possible. Thanks.

Hey Johnny,
      Yah, depending on your nationality, you should be able to get a 1 year visa for the same (Americans) or just a slightly higher price. On the application there’s a box where you can check to get a 1 year visa. I’m kicking myself for just getting a 1 month visa, I should have really applied for a 1 year – also because it’s the same price for a 1 month and 1 year as an American!

• Adam says

Impressed how much your about Johnny, was directed to your http://www.onestep4ward.com , when searching for Thailand boat trips to China yeaterday, (loved the escapades u guys got up to by the way, sounded awesome)–So today I am searching China Visa from Bangkok, an wham bam–here u are again–Top Banana work bud–Thanks for all the Advice
      will be in Bangkok 5-11thSept if anyones about?

Happy Days-Happy Travels :)

3. Aurelien says

Just an update, we applied for a chinese visa in Bangkok last week. They seem to apply a much stricter policy. You need a flight and hotel reservation confirmation… If you have none, they won’t accept you. But, we insisted, asked to speak to the boss… And eventually she accepted that we would travel to China overland through Laos and leave overland to Russia, but sill they wanted a hotel reservation. So, after another 10 minutes of negotiation they accepted instead of a reservation a copy of our bank accounts to prove that we have enough money.
    So, what we needed for a single entry visa 30 days:
    -Application forms (fill them in properly, write the adresses and numbers of some guestbooks, they ask for!)
    -Photo
    -Passport
    -Copy of bankacount
    -Travel itinerary (invent something)

Great, thanks so much for sharing your experience and information Aurelien! It does sound like the policies have become stricter since I last got my Chinese visa. Again, I appreciate you sharing.

We applied for a visa on Feb 1, 2012 and they were definitely requiring a hotel confirmation from us (we’re American FWIW). Since we have a cousin in China, they were OK without such a confirmation because we’re staying with him, but they do want a copy of his passport and visa when we pick our books up. We’re also coming in overland, and they were fine with a signed note explaining entry/exit points, which we wrote out right at the counter.

And the line was incredibly long–get there early because there were a lot of people who didn’t get in that day. (Maybe this was due to it being the week after Chinese New Year though?) We got there 8:50, got in the door at about 10:45, and left at noon. Get breakfast before and bring a book.

5. Fritz says

It is quite difficult to get a visa currently. We made the queue and were told that we had to provide a hotel reservation, flight tickets (go to and return from China), and 100$ traveler cheques per day!
    We went there on a Monday and the queue was so long that not everybody was able to get inside. Once they closed the entry (at 11!) only agents were able to get in. We hired one and she was able get all required (fake) documents (no traveler cheques needed for her). In the afternoon, again after a long queue we got our visa.

Thanks for the information Fritz. It’s too bad to hear that it’s getting so difficult. Maybe the best thing to do these days is to go through an agency that knows the system…

I live in Thailand and have been applying for Chinese tourist visa’s for the past 12 years without any problem. On this occasion 2 days ago my agent refused to handle the visa, so I had to go to the Embassy myself. I waited outside in the queue for 1 hour before entering the building, it was 35 C! and then waited a further hour before it was my turn at the counter.
        The following is what I was asked to provide.

The forms are supplied at the Embassy.

Application form
        Supplementary application form.
        Proof of your employer, business card or letter.
        Flight itinary.
        Hotel confirmation proof of booking from the hotel.

If married to a Thai and I am.

Marriage certificate copy
        Tabien baan copy. Thai house book.
        Wife’s ID card copy.
        Photo copy of your passport photo page
        Photo copy of current your visa page
        Work permit copy if you have one.

Why on earth they want employment details for a tourist visa application is beyond me.

My advice is take an umbrella it’s not funny waiting in the blazing sun for an hour.

6. Steven Meier says

We (Swiss) successfully applied for a visa on the 16th of February ’12. They wanted to have a booking confirmation of a hotel and airplane tickets to China (in&out). As we travel overland from Laos to China and after that from China to Mongolia we do not have any reservations for hotels and planes. After some discussions they only wanted to have a booking confirmation for a hotel in China. They gave us a small paper so that we could go back directly to the counter without having to wait in the queue. There is a internet shop if you turn left by the first 7/11 (5 Baht per page) to make a reservation for a hotel (which can be cancelled for free afterwards if you do not plan to stay there).
    We were asking for 62 days but we only got 30 days. We had to bring the following documents:
    - Passport
    - Visa form A (http://visa.ywpw.com/forms/V2011A.pdf) & B (http://visa.ywpw.com/forms/V2011B.pdf). You get the same forms at the visa application office
    - 1 photo
    - Itinerary including telephone numbers of the hotels you plan to stay in
    Optional documents
    - Medical insurance (they did not use it and handed it back)
    - Copy of bank account

Thanks for this vital information Steven. Glad to hear you got a visa, but too bad it is only the 30 day visa. This is extremely useful and I can’t thank you enough for contributing. Hope you have a great time in China!

7. dave says

Thanks for the info.
    I have to be in Bangkok and go from there to China. Do you still have the phone number of that agent you used?
    I need a visa for linger than 30 days.
    Tahnks,
    Dave

8. Xevronixussor says

I also applied for a Chinese visa in Bangkok, on the 20th of March 2012. I got a tourist visa for 30 days.
    As I  the info on this page helped me a lot, let me give some additional insight based on my experience

Getting there:
    - from Banglamphu area (Khao sahn road etc) you can take bus no 171 to Phra Ram 9, from where you can walk to the embassy in about 10 minutes. Prepare for morning traffic jams though

Requirements:
    - Officially (signposted at the windows), the “minimum” requirements are to present flight tickets and hotel reservations
    - As I plan to go overland from Laos, I didnt have, nor intended to buy, any flight tickets; I also definitely didnt have hotel reservations to all the places I intended to visit
    - Around Khao sahn road there are several travel agencies advertising “chinese visa”
    - Some of these refused to arrange the visa for me quoting the difficulty of the new requirements
    - others are willing to arrange the visa and produce the necessary documents (flight ticket reservations etc). You just have to give them your passport and they’ll do the rest (supposedly)
    - prices quoted were 2200-2400 thb for the single entry, 30 days, non-usa, 4 days peocessing time visa
    - in comparison, the visa fee for the above is 1100 thb; thus the document creation and application “service” of these agents would be 1000+ bath
    - I decided to try my luck myself

Application
    - I made some hotel reservations to 3 chinese cities through elong.com. This site doesn’t require advance payment or credit card numbers
    - I simply printed the “thanks for your reservation” messages from the webpage. My “reservations” did not cover 30 days, there were “gaps” between them, my printouts were totally lame and could hqve been just as easily forged. They accepted them nevertheless, so this seems to be just a formality
    - I wrote a nice “letter” about my intentions to travel to China, and requested to waive the requirement  of the flight ticket
    - to show I was a serious guy, I printed out a balance of my bank account and handed it in (this is not a requirement). The text and figures were all in Hungarian, so unless somebody spent half a day to figure out exactly how much money those millions of hungarian Forint mean, it was also just a formality
    - on the form, I listed the addresses of my “registrations”, but I didnt have phone numbers for them, so I left it blank
    - I had my thai visa in a different passport, which I showed to the clerk lady, who made some note about it. I didnt have to submit this passport
    - the only thing they asked me to change on the form was the number of days I intended to stay in China. I wanted to try to get a visa longer than 30 days, so I went for 45 days, but apparently they only issue 30 day visas now, so probably it’s not worth trying (double entry may also be more difficult to get; to increase the chance of getting a tourist visa, it may be best to stick to the simplest version)

Time required
    - I submitted my application on Tuesday and was afraid that I’d have to wait till next Monday (ie 4 working days). Fortunately I could come to collect the visa on Friday morning
    - probably to avoid the office being crowded, the guards in front of the building only let a certain number of people in at a time, the rest have to queue and wait on the street, sweating. So its probably a good idea to be among the first 50 people or so (I arrived 8:30 and was let in with the first wave a 9:00)
    - on the other hand, when collecting the visa you dont need to queue outside – just show your pink receipt to the guard and they’ll let you in from behind (to queue inside the office, first to pay the fee to the cashier, then to collect your passport, but it’s fast)

9. von Richthofen says

Thanks for a very informative page!! We got our visas today (Swedish passports) We are going overland, have no train tickets booked but that was okey because we had made a travel itinerary from Bangkok to Irkutsk. We only have two nights hotel reservation out of our two weeks travel in China. No need for bank account or insurance paper.

10. sophia says

thank you so much for taking time to share your experience. it really helps us much in planning all. very helpful indeed!!!

11. Craig says

Just another update to the long list here. We tried to call several travel agents in Bangkok who all told us that agents can no longer handle China visa services, so we had to go ourselves. It’s best to take the subway as the embassy is quite a long way from the city center and the roads are always jammed with traffic. Rather than go early, we arrived just after 11am with our application forms already filled out. Americans have to fill out two copies of the application and paste a picture onto each application. As the morning rush had already passed, we easily got through the security check on the first floor and went to the second floor waiting room area. We got a number at the door (#196!) and then promptly stood in the line inside the room that leads to a small table near the front of the room where a woman was screening the application documents of each person before the numbers were called (ours was #196). The informal screening at the small table is not explained anywhere, but most people figure it out after being in the room a few minutes. They apparently do this to be sure that the application forms are filled out correctly and you have all the necessary documents. We had our printed flight itinerary and hotel reservations (fake ones that we made on ctrip.com, another site that does not require a deposit or credit card). The woman screening documents asked for a bank statement, but when we said we did not have one, she made it seem it was not necessary. When we asked about multiple entries and 3 or 6-month visas, she told us we could only apply for a 30-day single entry tourist visa.
    She had us run to a copy shop to make a copy of the first page of our passports and the page that had the Thai entry stamp, but I think this was because we are Americans and were visiting Thailand ahead of our planned visit to China, so probably not necessary for others to make copies of their passport pages.
    We had to wait from 11am to about 1pm before the numbers started to move faster. Many people who come and take numbers abandon their attempts when they hit the screening step, and someone ahead of us gave us their number at #170, so we made it to the window a bit sooner.
    At the window they gave us a slip of paper and told us to come back on Tuesday (we submitted on Thursday) and to pay the fee when we made the pick-up, so overall it was not too painful, but the room sure is overcrowded and the visa application forms have some unclear questions on them, so it’s good to have the screening before you get to the window.
    It might be good to have a printed copy of a bank statement in your back pocket in case they decide to require it in your case. Just glad we didn’t hit any bad bumps. Some of the others in the room were having trouble and some were arguing quite loudly at the window.
    Someday I hope the office can be better managed. The embassy website should have more information and should include updated information like the requirement for hotel reservations. Immigration offices everywhere could use much better professional management, but this is something we already know.

12. Karin says

Thank you for this excellent guide! Just got my Chinese visa in Bangkok on June 20, 2012. I have a Swedish passport and submitted the following documents:

- Visa application forms A and B with photo
    - Copy of first page and Thai visa page in passport (I have a Non-B)
    - Flight booking (fake)
    - Hotel reservation (fake)
    - Letter from Employer
    - Business card
    - Work permit – original book and copies (be sure to copy every page except blank ones) I didn’t have to hand in the original book but they wanted to check the copies against the book.

Documents that were NOT needed:
    - Bank statement
    - Proof of insurance

I applied for a 30 day tourist visa but only got 15 days as my itinerary wasn’t detailed enough. My 30 nights in a Beijing hotel should have been supplemented with a plan of what I was going to see and do every day.

So put some work into your itineraries! ;-)

Very helpful Karin, thank you for sharing. Sorry you weren’t able to get the 30 day visa, but thanks for warning all of us that a very detailed itinerary is a must. Have a great trip to China!

13. Sebastian says

Hi all !

I’m planning on applying for a Visa in BKK this friday. Any insights recently on multiple entries?

2300 THB for a Single Entry seems a bit steep to me. I would try to apply for the one year but would probably be happy with the 6 months one as well (already have a double entry & multiple entry in the PP).

Anyway… if nobody has recent news, on friday I let you know more about how it went.

Ok, current situation is a bit messy. They refused to process my application either rush or expedited. Reason is that the german government tightened the visa process for Chinese citizens and this seems retaliation for it. I guess good to know who NOT to vote for next time. So it will take 4 days and I probably have to change my flight out of BKK or it would be VERY tight (maybe I take a hotel car and have the driver wait outside).

The process: I took all the above quoted documents incl Itinerary, Bank Statement, Hotel Reservations and Ticket. Initially they were only giving me a single entry but my itinerary shows that I cross the land border from HKG to Shenzhen a day after so they eventually agreed to a double entry. No multiple entry for foreigners except you have a longterm visa or residence for Thailand.

I would lie if I say that I liked this visit though. Oh well…

Cheers!

Thank you for sharing this latest update Sebastian, very useful information. I hope you can make your flight, and have a great trip once you’re in China!

14. TravelingMan says

I have to say that the agents at the Chinese embassy in Bangkok (BKK) were horrible in every way possible. Impolite, rude, and ignorant. Perhaps it was a particularly bad day because there were dozens of people who were angry at their incompetence and attitude.

After an incredibly aggravating interaction, I decided to go to Laos where the people at the embassy were nice, efficient, helpful, and with almost no lineup. The only problems I encountered in Laos was with the inaccurate and misleading information that the agents in Bangkok had given me. I now realize why they have thick glass between the agents and the customers.

The office in BKK was super busy, so perhaps they are hiring *ssholes to reduce the lineups.

15. Ed says

I went to the embassy today to get an F class visa for 60 days on a contract job in Ningbo. I had invitation letters from an Australian company and the Chinese partner company, both stamped and signed, a real flight booking, travel insurance letter, letter from australian employer, both forms filled out, you name it. thought it would be a breeze. Dream on.

For a start, the place is an absolute zoo. I got there an hour before it opened and was 28th in line, which was all good. Within 30 minutes, there were at least 300 people waiting, so be warned. Get there early.

Then it got ugly. Even though the process is super simple in Australia, all the documentation I produced in BKK, which is the standard documentation in Melbourne, apparently was worthless. I have lived in Thailand for 15 years, and am used to bloody minded government workers, but this was a new low. The woman behind the counter went ballistic at me when I produced the letters. She started shouting at me heatedly and gave me one of those very cold off with your head looks at the end. The poor woman in the queue next to me was a manager at the Hilton and also got sent away because she didn’t have a copy of her bank statement (which she attempted to argue about given that the documentation she downloaded from the Thai embassy didn’t mention this requirement). There was a lot of effing and blinding from people as they walked away from the windows.

I’ve paid $1200 for my ticket and travel insurance and am really in a bind now because my visa application was not even accepted, and I simply have no idea why. The office is closed next week. Ouch. Not sure what to do.

Anyway, having lived in Asia for a long time, I realize there’s always a way. Still, I have to say that the Chinese embassy in Bangkok is a place that everyone is well advised to avoid if you can possibly do so. The person who wrote the original story on this site was either very lucky, or else things have changed massively.

I’m going to try to get my visa in Hong Kong if things don’t work out here.

Hey Ed,

Wow, sorry to hear about this, but thank you for sharing it with us. I got my visa (and wrote this article) just over 1 year ago and at that time it was busy, yet still quite a bit easier than it sounds now. I had no trouble, and had no insurance or accommodation booking or anything booked (apart from flight in and out).

Looks like Hong Kong might be the best option for the time being. I wanted to take a trip back to China in the coming months, but I’m starting to think about going elsewhere…

Thanks and best of luck with everything Ed!

Mark

16. Bryn says

Hi guys,

Was at the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok two days ago and can only really add to a lot of the negative feedback on here.

After reading all of the comments on this site and others I decided to add a return flight to my one way, ensure I had hotel bookings for the 29 day duration I asked for, a bank statement showing more than enough money, and I detailed my itinerary and intentions for the period. This last point actually proved to be something of a ‘mistake’ as within this short letter I included that I was keen to learn more about Chinese culture and the language.

Firstly, the wait in excess of two hours wasn’t much fun but was helped by chatting to an English girl (I’m also from the UK) who was there for the second day running after being turned away the day previous (the first day she didn’t have a bank statement, a return ticket and, most notably an array of details and documents pertaining to the English friend she was going to visit in Guangzhou).

On being called to the counter things seemed surprisingly smooth (compared to people at other booths remonstrating vocally for reasons unknown), until, the woman read my short letter of itinerary and intent. I was then asked what school I was studying language and culture at and I explained that I wasn’t, and as a tourist I simply wanted to do this as a tourist does, by travelling and mingling. This was understood but not accepted. After deliberation with a supervisor I was told I would need to get an invitational letter from a ‘culture school’ or language school to proceed (n.b. this is not a stated requirement on the official Bangkok website). I then myself began to protest that this was not possible, nor was it the point of my visit. Long and short, things got slightly heated and I ultimately acted somewhat immaturely (for a 35-year-old) by ripping into pieces my application and supporting documents and tossing them through the kiosk, such was the anger and bewilderment I by then felt towards such a ridiculous process and the terse, condescending words coming in my direction. Some of the paper came flying back out at me and I turned and left, and that was that. Needless to say I won’t be going back there and neither will I be going to China (this would have been my 7th visit – last one 5 years ago on an old passport – but if the visa procedure is going to be like this then it will be 6 and out).

I spoke to the English girl again after this and she had been granted 10 days without the itinerary letter and without a return flight booked. She told them she was going onwards overland to Hong Kong.

So the long and short of this experience from an objective point of view is that it that the whole process appears quite arbitrary to say the least. An invitational letter from a Chinese school or whatever would boost one’s chances but having a friend there (you merely need more docs and nonsense whereas a hotel booking – one you could cancel later – would suffice equally and with less hassle) wouldn’t really.

And from a personal point of view I simply won’t put up with such garbage and will instead go somewhere that the embassy isn’t such a (bad) joke. And out of spite, perhaps, I won’t go to China either. If you feel in any way like me and don’t have the energy to jump through hoops and listen to illogical nonsense, I would urge you to avoid this embassy if at all possible and go elsewhere for your Chinese visa.

Wow, thank you for sharing this update Bryan, sorry to hear about the outcome. This illogical nonsense is getting ridiculous, you don’t need to go to an institute to learn about Chinese culture!!! Thanks again for sharing.

• Jim says

Thanks Bryn for sharing your experience.
      My blood was boiling as I read your account it as I need to go to China beginning of next month and it seems that no matter what preparation you make in advance you can still be turned down or asked to jump impossibe hoops.
      But I must say I did get a chuckle from how you put it.
      I think I would have no doubt reacted the way you did or even worse.
      I have little tolerance for baseless authority and fear I may have strangled someone.
      I am also applying for my Thai girlfriend … so am not looking forward to it.
      Would you have any advice in my case?

We recently got our 30 day tourist visas in Chiang Mai so thought we’d share the experience.
    Thanks for all of the info. We came armed with:

Detailed itinerary including cities, numbers of days and prospective accommodation (we only booked for out first stop in Yangshuo and included that).
    Insurance Document
    Bank Statement Online Printout (you need $100 US for each day)
    We had a flight out but no flight in as we intend to travel by land from Hanoi, this was OK.

The embassy was not busy at all and security gave us the forms to fill in before they opened. Once inside we only had to add a few extra bits of information such as details of our last employer before traveling and a very brief outline of countries we will visit before we get to Hanoi. There was never a queue so it was easy to go back to the counter.

We chose the one day service but the lady informed us if we went for the 2-3 day service we would have the visa the next morning so we went for that. Was 1900baht per person.

As promised next morning they were there waiting. All in all was a very smooth process, so if you are passing through Chiang Mai I’d definitely recommend getting your visa there.

18. Yokan says

merhaba şuan çinde bulunmaktayım çalışma vizesi almam gerekiyor bunun için TR ye donmek ısteımıyorum acaba taylanddan alabılırmıyım bılgınız varmı yardımcı olabılırmısınız?

19. Yokan says

hi,
    now i have a chinese visa also still in china now,but for apply working visa i need out and enter china again,33 country banned from HK for apply visa,do you have any information Turkey citizens can apply from thailand visa

20. Elliot says

Hi. I am from the uk. I am currently in china but coming to bkk to get a new Chinese visa. I have invitation letters, proof of address and bank statements. I was just wondering is it possible to get a years multiple entry visa ? Thanks

21. Ashley says

I’m an American and went to the Chinese Embassy twice this week to try to get a 6-month F visa. I had what I thought would be more than enough documentation, but discovered that I was a few key documents only once I read the signs posted in the visa office – why they can’t publish these requirements on the Embassy website makes no sense.

Here are the documents required as per signs posted throughout the visa office:

- visa application A (with passport photo)
    - visa application B
    - copy of your passport
    - copy of your Thai visa (I saw most foreigners turned away b/c they didn’t have this)
    - copy of previous Chinese visa (if have)
    - copy of work permit (if have)
    - employment letter (I’m a student so they requested a copy of my student id)
    - invitation letter (for business visa)
    - bank statement
    - flight booking
    - hotel reservation

There is a copy shop less than 100m from the visa office in case you need to make copies and/or get passport photos. As an American trying to get an F visa (business), despite having an invitation letter from an organization where I would be interning, they would not give me a visa longer than 30 days without an invitation letter from the Chinese government (Here is a link to the form: http://www.visarite.com/Invitation_Letter_of_Duly_Authorized_Unit.htm#.UTQxYo4ctSo )

Other tips = get there early, I got there at 8:15am and once I had all the proper documents, left by 9:45am.

Good Luck!

22. marty says

I visited the consulate with an application for a tourist visa on 8th March 2013 and, after queuing for 3.5 hours was shouted at/sent away by the rude woman I encountered and ordered to bring back information about my employment status (I am self-employed). In other words, I have to write a letter to the Embassy about myself (ridiculous). I am not sure why there is a requirement for bank statements/employment info. I previously got a visa in London and they didn’t require this info. Furthermore, the whole process in London was quick and very professionally handled. The Bangkok office is a shambles, run by low-level clerks who need training in customer service and how to talk to its customers. An absolutely diabolical experience. If I wasn’t visiting my brother, I would tell them where they might stick their fourth-rate service.

• Keith Taylor says

The last time I used this embassy (mid-2012) I was taken aback by the fussiness of the staff. I’ve visited China four or five times and never had any problem applying in either the UK or Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, and I’ve never before had to provide any documents beyond the standard proof of flights and accommodation.

In Bangkok, however, I was asked to provide a letter from my employer to confirm that I was on holiday. No explanation was offered as to why this was necessary, and as I’m self employed and the business I claimed to work for doesn’t exist I had to return the following day to repeat the process.

On my second attempt I told them I was unemployed and provided proof of finances. My papers were judged to be in order, but when I submitted my application at the counter the lady serving me told me she could not pass my forms on to her boss. She said he’d ask her why I hadn’t applied for the visa in my home country (UK), so I had to spend five minutes explaining that I hadn’t been home in several years. There were other westerners present who seemed to have no such problems, so I have no idea why she decided my application was such a challenge.

Eventually, after much sucking of teeth from her and pleading from me, she agreed to accept the application on the understanding that I’d only be given a 5 day tourist visa (I only needed five days to reach the Mongolian border from Beijing).

A few days later I returned to collect my passport, and sure enough there was a 5 day visa attached. In fact, it was a 30 day visa with the ’30′ crossed out in pen and replaced with ’5′.

Now, almost a year later, I have to return for another damned visa. This time I’m going armed with flight bookings, hotel confirmations, a letter of invitation from my hotel in Shanghai, financial documents and printouts of my previous Chinese visas, current Thai Visa and the photo page of my passport. At this embassy it’s seems you can never be too prepared.

• Keith Taylor says

Just returned from the embassy, and the situation is much the same as it was last year. I arrived at 08:40 to find a queue maybe five car lengths long. The office opened promptly at 9, and as I hadn’t filled out the form ahead of time (I don’t trust that the forms available online are current) by the time I’d completed my application the five or so windows open each had queues 20-25 people deep.

It took a little over two hours to reach the counter. During that time I’d say around 50% of the westerners in the office were sent away without success. Lots of whispered arguments and pleas with the staff along the lines of ‘I have it, but I don’t have it with me.’

The lucky ones were just missing photocopies of their passport pages (photo page, current Thai visa or visa waiver stamp, previous Chinese visa if applicable), and they were sent to the copy shop down the street and allowed to rejoin the queue at the front on their return. The unlucky ones, though, we’re sent home to get their papers in order before trying again.

I had with me an invitation letter from a hostel in Shanghai, a booking confirmation from a hostel in Beijing, incoming flights from Bangkok to Shanghai, a typed itinerary, a bank statement and passport pages showing Chinese, Thai and Mongolian visa. My application was approved with no problem, and I wasn’t asked about my onward journey (I’m taking the train, so I had no ticket). In all, this was 1000% more pleasant than my last visit, but this is still clearly a difficult embassy to use.

One unusual thing worth pointing out is that the Bangkok embassy has begun to tailor visas to each itinerary. A 30 day L visa is usually issued whether you’re staying in country 5 minutes or 29 days, 23 hours. However, since I specified a 24 day stay on my form I was given a 26 day visa. If your plans aren’t set in stone you should be very careful about the visa you ask for. As it happens I planned to stay as long as 30 days if the mood took me, but as I’ve struggled with this embassy before I wanted to make my itinerary seem more believable. My mistake.

23. David says

Just wanted to leave a note saying how useful this blog and the follow up comments have been — it gave me a much better idea about the process of obtaining a Chinese visa.

I applied for a 30 day tourist visa. I went to the office today (got there around 8:30 — the line was about 20 people deep). At 9 we were let into the office and we had to form lines for the different counters. I was about 10 people back on my line and it took me about an hour to get to the front. All in all I was out of there by 10:30.

Once at the counter, the lady (much nicer than I expected) reviewed my documents (the list Ashley provided above is accurate). Because I was American, I had to go back and fill out a second A and B application form (these can be found on the Chinese embassy website – they are up-to-date), as well as attach a second picture. Once I had done this, I went to the front of the line (people will give you mean looks, but just say you’ve already been to the front already) and left it.

A couple of notes: I wanted to get my visa processed in 1 day (rush service) but the lady at the counter said that was not available to me (not sure if it is for others). The second thing is that because I work for a NGO in Bangkok, the lady was unsure if I would require further documentation from my organization stating that my travel was not on official business (on top of the employment verification letter). Instead of sending me back to get the paperwork, however, the lady was nice enough to say she would start processing it and would call me if further documents were needed.

So, fingers crossed, I get my passport back on Wednesday. Good luck to everyone else trying their luck at the visa office!

24. sanna says

Firstly, big shout out to everyone who has contributed to this page, which has been immeasurably helpful and left me looking like a true expert at the consulate this morning.

Secondly though, expert or not, the consulate has now won a special place in my heart as the world’s most needlessly hateful, inefficient and infuriating place. The great people I met in the line notwithstanding (amazing what you can learn when you’re standing around for 3.5 hours), the staff were indeed rude, unhelpful and completely arbitrary in their decisions.

Ashley’s list above is great. All required by all people, no exceptions, and Marty is correct that if you are unemployed, you need a letter to say so. They guy in front of me seemed to whip this up himself and got through. Another guy did the same and wasn’t so lucky. Insurance not required but worth taking if you have it. take a student card if you have it. Take a urine sample if you think it’ll help, the whole thing is ridiculous.

The embassy was closed on Monday and Tuesday for Thai public holidays, despite the fact that most other embassies opened and these dates weren’t listed on the website or phone service. This left me with a very short timeframe. I arrived at 8.15am to an already 50m line. We were promptly allowed in at 9am, and then waited in line for another 45 minutes. On handing over my forms I was told that the express visa was not available. At all. 2-3 day visa not available. At all. Okay, fine, what can you do? I agreed to the 4 day processing period. In doing so, I was instructed that as my flight is in two days, I would have to go and book a new one for after 4 days. They would not accept my application without this. Ok, done. $300 down the drain. I return. Wait in line for 90 minutes. A different line this time. It’s touch and go. I get quizzed on THE FORMAT of my bank statement (?), asked for a copy of my student card and why, if it expired last week, I’m still unemployed. Um. Then I ask for the visa express service and am told that I should have come earlier for that service. I DID COME EARLIER! So we settle on the 2-3 day period, and I’m stuck in bangkok for a week longer with a lot less money, and the mere promise of the possibility of the visa. No promises.

The whole thing was horrendous. If you can avoid it, do. If you can’t avoid it, go early, go prepared and do some sort of meditation beforehand. I was out by 12.30pm. The lines are relentless and seeing the miserable looks on the faces of other applicants is depressing.

I went in all perky and prepared and came out exhausted, irritated and prepared. I don’t have a temper but I can now completely empathise with Bryn’s rage! David’s experience above sounds dreamy but I’m afraid it’s not the norm.

Good luck…

25. Amy & Adam says

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for this information. It’s so helpful, I wanted to pass on my thanks to encourage you to keep doing what you’re doing.
    Amy & Adam

26. Calos Barril says

Hola, this website is really interesting.
    I am spanish, and i will go to Chine from Spain to study a chinese course in July, and i have a tourism visa. But next i will do a travel around SOuthEast of Asia and in September i will start to study in Yunnan province (China), for three months. So i need a new visa. The chinese uni will provide me a document called JW202 and admission notice. So i would like to know if i can apply for visa in Bangkok better, or if not in Hong Kong, and what doccuments are required for that in each city if you know, price and how many days i need. And if it would be a problem apply on ending of July for this visa for september (maybe too soon?). Sorry about my english. and Thank you very much in advance.
    Kind regards

27. Nate says

Just received a visa from the Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai, a few notes:

-I did not visit the embassy in Bangkok, however, the one in Chiang Mai is open from 9-1130 M-F and very few people in line until after 10. There was also no line prior to getting into the AC. You take a number and wait in the cool air.
    -I’m American, and only needed one copy of each application. They did not want the copies of my passport or Thai visa that I had prepared, nor my bank statement. If you do not have an invitation then they’ll want reservations and a plane ticket, and they need hard copies. We booked the reservations and cancelled them afterwards, and copied and pasted some flight number information with the airline jpeg at the top and that worked. It was only a one-way flight, not sure how closely they looked at it.
    -The application asks for health insurance information and previous countries traveled to.

It mostly went smoothly, had a visa after 4 business days.

28. Romanus says

I applied for Chinese visa for me and my Thai girlfriend in the embassy in Bangkok last month and I got it without any major problems that many people mentioned above – maybe I was just lucky??? It took me not more then an hour to submit applications and just 15 minutes to collect our passports with visas attached after 4 business days.

The required documents are:
    visa application A
    visa application B (for non Thais)
    copy of passport
    copy of Thai visa or entry stamp
    bank statement showing that you have at least 50000 baht (they did really ask for it!)
    flight booking (possible one way if you tell them you’ll exit China overland)
    hotel reservation (fake from ctrip.com )

nothing else!

One more thing worth mentioning is that if you apply for your Thai girlfriend`s visa as well as yours you need to show her bank statement with 50000 baht as well as yours, even if you pay for her trip!

So it was not really so tough and scary as you may think after reading all the above! :)

Again maybe I was just lucky or because I was not an American :)

Actually getting an American visa is 100 times tougher and more humiliating than that!!! :(

29. Brian says

I will be applying for this visa soon, I think I’ll go for the 6 month multiple entry. I had a question relating to the photo – what size do they require? This question isn’t answered in the visa FAQs on the embassy website.

thanks in advance

Need a bit of information please :) I am British and living in Thailand on my non-imm O visa, i have accepted a job in Suzhou and want to apply for a Chinese Z visa in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai, is still possible and want paperwork do i need?

Cheers

You continue to impress me every day! I did a simple search about obtaining a Chinese tourist visa in Thailand and, what do you know, Migrationology was the first site to pop up. Your site has been such a resource for me these past months in Thailand. Thank you Mark!!

32. Cameron says

Hello,

Thought I might share our experiences. We didn’t have a lot of trouble with the application. Best advice we can give is 1. Get there early (We were there at 7.50 am and beat the crowd. Straight inside and only had to wait 30 mins to get to the counter). 2. Be prepared. We saw many people getting frustrated and there’s no need for this if you follow what people have done in the blog above. Print out everything that is needed.

Two minor problems we had. We are Australians but are flying to Korea first (from bangkok) before going to China. We printed out our flight from Korea to China. They did however need our flight from Bangkok to Korea as well. So we had to duck down the road to print this out.

Also. We are unemployed so did a letter stating we were unemployed. The boss had a talk to us and wanted us to also write down our previous employer, address, job title and phone number.

To be honest we found the staff to be quite polite. Not the horrible monsters that have been previously been described. Just get there early and be organised.

33. Kerim says

Hi Mark

I have read your report and am very thankful for this information you have provided us with.

The main problem i have is that i will leave China during the Chinese public holiday from
    October 1 – 4
    And according to this webpage: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/thailand/#invitation

It looks like the consul will be closed for holiday too. I also have a valid visa with one more entery. But i need a visa with multiple entries for a half year.
    What would you do in my position?
    I’m a Qatari passportholder.

Thank you.

34. Karsten Ranger says

Hi all,

thought that I can help someone by telling you my story as it involves different persons and VISA types. I went to the Chinese embassy on 09th Sep and applied for the VISA of the new category “M-Business” for me (German national), “L-Tourist” for my wife (Thai national) and also “L-Tourist” for our two kids (German nationals).

I arrived there at around 8 am and there were almost 20-25 people already waiting. Close to the opening at 9 am there were an increasing number of agents flowing in and when the gates opened, almost 30 of them got preferential access thorugh a separate line, they went in single files. Consequently these guys got the first ticket numbers so that “normal” people had to comply with the subsequent numbers although some of them might have been arrived much earlier before 8 am. Guess some lubricating makes the procedure happen that way but no chance to change.

Advantage is that the handling of these guys is done pretty fast and I saw not one agent being hassled or returned. The drama started when the first “individual” Westerners being called up whereas the process for Thai nationals went pretty smoothly. At one counter there were three guys being returned in succession for reasons unknown. At another counter a French guy started to put himself in front of the counter like a bouncer cross-armed and willing to stay I won’t budge until I get my matter cleared; guess what, he succeeded in getting the red slip which entitles to collect the VISA 4 days later. The single details for guys being returned are unknown (I guess soemtimes only copies) but it was not encouraging to watch these scenes going on.

At around 10 am after 1 hour of waiting inside I was called up. I was really overprepared and submitted almost 1 kg of documents and copies for us four. The lady at the counter was a bit astonished to see that pile. Although I handed in the original invitation letter in Chinese and English from our Chinese subsidiary with every single detail being stated, she asked me about the purpose of my visit, i.e. why do you think we should allow you to enter the Middle Kingdom. I explained again and referred to the text of the invitation letters. She again glanced through but it became clear that her Chinese and presumably also her English aren’t that proficient. Generelly speaking, all the ladies at the counters appear to be Thai and some of them are very tough (I know this already from the German embassy in Bangkok when applying for German VISA for my wife after getting married). Yet, I guess they are just instructed to be like that by the Chinese superiors for reasons unknown. My personal process at the counter took almost 20 minutes for four persons but in the end it went pretty smoothly and the lady could also laugh at the end.

The documents she really asked for are as follows:

- Original invitation letters for all persons including the kids
    - Copies of current bank accounts
    - Hotel bookings – in my case I showed the copy of my housing contract (6 months) or the
    temporary residence permit issued by the local Public Security Office as I travelled from
    China to Bangkok to pick up my family.
    - Medical insurance certificate
    - Copy of main page (incl. the picture) of the passprt, copies of previous Chinese VISA
    inside the passport and copy of Thai entry stamp or VISA
    - Flight tickets to enter and exit China.

As for the application form, I used the new one V.2013 as I found in the internet that only this one is allowed to be used starting from 01.09.2013. It is 4 pages long and you are to type it, print it out and sign it. Word versions or PDF versions are available as download in the internet. Yet, I was a bit worried while waiting as I found that I virtually was the only one using the new form. All the other applicants I saw used the 2 older ones, namely V.2011A and V.2011B. Currently both are permitted being used but it could be that in the near future only the new form is accepted. Anyway, it is very easy to type thus I strongly recommend using the new form so make sure you have access to a PC before going to the embassy. I saw some persons struggling with the older forms almost for the entire time I was waiting inside the hall. And, there is still the danger that you get rejected when some handwritten parts are too hard to decipher for the ladies at the counters. It was said that the new form is to be typed absolutely flawless and there aren’t any handwritten changes allowed. Yet, for all 4 forms submitted, minor handwritten changes were allowed by the lady so it isn’t handled that strict.

All in all, it was absolute no hassle for me and the service of the lady was ok. Yet, I was so overprepared that she just couldn’t find any point justifiying a rejection. Anyway, watching the scenes around me, I unfortunately have to confirm there is still some hassle going on like mentioned previously by the other guys mentioned above, especially for Westernes so ensure that you prepare as much as possible. The basic reason is the tit-for-tat policy of the Chinese government as I know personally that in an increasing amount of cases, Chinese person’s application for VISA into the EU were treated ridiciously sluggish. Standard process time is 4 days so I could collect the VISA on 12th September. This process took 5 minutes. Getting VISA allowing multiple entries and valid over 30 days seems to be very difficult so we all got single entry valid for 30 days which can be prolonged at the local Public Security Office.

Wish all good luck and be prepared !!

Best regards

Karsten

35. Little J says

I successfully acquired a double-entry S2 Chinese visa (valid for six months) today from the Chinese embassy in Bangkok. Each of the two entries into China allow me to stay in China for 40 days. I informed the visa office I would be in China for 37 days, so they gave me a visa good for 40 days per entry. For everyone’s reference, I’m an American citizen.

An S2 visa is for foreigners intending to visit Chinese nationals or family members living in China (such as a son who’s working in China). In my case, I’m intending to visit my Chinese girlfriend’s family in Heilongjiang province for 37 days. My girlfriend also lives with me in Bangkok. We’re both teachers.

A little more about myself, just for reference:

-I first traveled to China in late 2009 on an L visa.

-A few months later I moved to China and worked at an international call center in Liaoning province. During that time, I lived in China on a residence permit.

-Before this upcoming trip, I already had four Chinese visas in my passport.

Anyways, here’s the documents I needed to acquire the S2 visa in Bangkok:

-A letter of employment signed by my boss (I was asked why I didn’t print this on an official piece of paper with a letterhead, however, it was still accepted).

-An invitation letter written and signed by my Chinese girlfriend. The letter states the dates I will be in China, my travel itinerary, and the fact that I will be staying at her parents’ home (not a hotel). It also has her Thai phone number, her parents address in Heilongjiang province, as well as their Chinese phone number.

-A copy of my Chinese girlfriend’s national ID card (the one every Chinese citizen has). Both the front and back of the card were copied onto a single sheet of paper. She also signed her name on the sheet of paper.

-My round-trip plane ticket receipt (the same one you can print online).

-A copy of my passport’s front two pages (the pages with my photo, passport number, and signature).

-A copy of each of my four previous Chinese visas.

-A copy of the front pages of my Thai work permit (the pages with my photo and work permit number).

-A copy of my Thai Non-Imm B visa, as well as a copy of my most recent Thailand entry stamp.

-My passport.

I brought an official copy of my Kasikorn bank statement, as well as my bank passbook, but they were not taken. That surprised me a bit. My Chinese girlfriend was also with me during this whole process, but that was definitely not necessary (we figured it wouldn’t hurt, though). Other than the simple question about why my letter of employment lacked an official letterhead, I wasn’t asked anything else.

I arrived to the visa office at 8:30 AM on a Tuesday morning, and there were already about 15 people waiting in line ahead of me. Once I got inside at 9:00 AM, it took about 30 minutes for my number, number 21, to be called. I gave all my documents to the lady in the counter, she checked them all, gave me my receipt, and told me to return the following Monday. All in all, including my wait outside, I was at the visa office about 75 minutes.

Six days later, on a Monday morning at 9:15 AM, I returned to the visa office to get my visa. First, I paid 4,560 baht at counter 14 on the far left, and then I waited in line at counter 12 about 5 minutes before receiving my passport back.

The whole process was very painless. I strongly suggest coming with all the proper documentation to avoid any potential hassles. Being over-prepared is not a bad thing. I also suggest dressing at least semi-formally, to leave a good impression on the staff. It sucks that Americans have to pay so much for Chinese visas, and it was somewhat of a hassle rounding up all the proper documentation, but I’m happy to report the process wasn’t nearly as bad as some people on here made it out to be.

36. Little J says

Sorry, I forgot to mention that in addition to the documents I listed above, I also submitted two copies of form V.2013, along with two passport-sized photos. I downloaded this form online, filled it out using Adobe Reader (to be 100% safe, I filled it out in all CAPS), printed two copies, and hand signed them. The form is 4 pages long and asks for things such as your name, passport number, home address, an emergency contact, what kind of visa you’re applying for, etc. Just your typical visa form.

Avoid accidentally printing out form V.2011A, as there’s a possibility it may no longer be accepted at the visa office. Good luck, everyone.

37. Henry says

Help! Has anybody tried to get a visa to visit China entirely overland? My wife and I plan to go through from Vietnam to Kazakhstan in May, but cannot buy train tickets until much nearer the time, and so cannot give the embassy any concrete information in the form of bought and paid-for travel arrangements. Will they accept a detailed ‘proposed’ itinerary, together with confirmed hotel bookings, etc?

All help and advice gratefully received, and my thanks in advance -

Henry.

38. Nicole says

Does anyone know when is the pick up hrs , I assumed it was in the afernoon, but someone mentioned above its in the morning , and is no info in the ambassy website
    Thanks

• Henry says

Nicole – I believe that you can pick up your visa any time that they are open. Submission of applications is mornings only, but I was there a couple of weeks ago to apply and some people seem to have been picking theirs up at the same time. I really hope that this information is true, but you could always ring them on +66-2-2478970 (that’s 02-247-8970 if you are already in Thaland) (afternoons only) and check.

Slightly in answer to my own question posted above, it’s not easy to get a visa to go overland, especially if you are not going trans-Siberian. We tried, getting a train from Urumqi to Astana in Kazakhstan, but they wanted an invitation from a travel agent in Urumqi before they would allow us to go there. The best way, apparently, to get an invitation is to go there and find a travel agent to invite you to go there…

Good luck,

Henry.

39. Bernt Aslund says

Hi, I am a Swedish citizen but I live in Thailand.
    I like to go to Kina for a week or 2. It is moore easy to fly to Hongkong and make a tourist visa there or make it in Bangkok ???????

40. Carol says

Hello I was wondering maybe if you can help. I study in china but my visa expires next month so I need a new one, the school gives me the papers I need but the only thing is that I need to do the visa outside china. Here’s the problem: of course I’m not chinese, but I’m not Thai either. You think is possible to apply for the visa in Thailand even if I don’t live there? Hope you can help. Thanks :)

• Henry says

Carol – I think that you should be fine. The Chinese Embassy in Bangkok will issue a visa to anybody with the right paperwork (not always easy) regardless of their nationality or where they live. Just make sure that your paperwork is OK, especially flight tickets and invitations (presumably from the school) and you should be fine.

I hope that you get what you want when you want it!

Henry.

Hi Carol, good to hear from you. I personally don’t have any experience with this at all, but I would say, since you have all the papers necessary, it should be fine.

41. Falk says

Hey guys,

this site helped me a lot. Let me briefly add my experience.

First: If you only read the article, you will definitely get the wrong impression. Things have changed. Mark, you should consider adding a small paragraph on top of the article to make that clear.

What I learned:

Be there at 8:30 am. I arrived at 09:02 and got number 111 – three hours of waiting.

Also, the embassy employees seem to like letters (as an addition to forms and booking confirmations) that make two points absolutely clear:

1. You have a job, keep that job and you will not work in China. Bring a letter of your boss with his address and telephone number that says that you are an employee of the company at the moment and that you are just on holidays. Also, bringing a bank statement might help. I was sent away to bring such a letter. If you don’t have a job at the moment, bring a letter by yourself that states that you won’t work in China.

2. They want to know exactly where you will be for every day. So write it down on an extra sheet as detailed as you can in chronological order. Flights or trains into China, traveling inside the country and your hotels or hostels. Also, what you do before entering the country, if you don’t fly directly from Bangkok. Then proof it with reservations and tickets as good as you can. Try to avoid gaps.

Plan 4 days to pick it up, because for foreign passports (had the experience with German and Danish passports) you won’t be able to get the express service.

If you have all the necessary documents and can convince the embassy personal about the two main points above, you should have no problems to get your visa.

42. wydruki says

When I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time
    a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the same
    comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you can remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

Check out my web blog – wydruki

43. chris says

I am planning on going to China,leaving from Bangkok in September.I am American and just wondering,if I don’t have a job while out of the US,will they still require a employers letter or do I just say I’m unemployed?

Hi Chris, this is a tough question. It seems from latest reports, some people have no problems, other have big problems with the employment letter. I honestly don’t know what to tell you exactly, but if I were you I would probably just make sure I have all my bank statements in order for proof of sufficient funds and just say you’re traveling with no job at the moment. All the best.

44. Max says

Well, things have changed a lot since last summer. I had all sorts of Chinese visa’s in the past, usually 1 year, long term ones. But they are getting harder to get, as the Chinese authorities are eager to crack down on the perpetual ‘English Teacher’. From 5 years experience of living in china and applying for visa’s I suggest the following to anyone wanting to visit:

1. dress decently when visiting the embassy/consulate/visa centre (its about giving face to the clerk). Ripping up some papers in anger in front of the clerk does neither yourself nor others any favours ( although I can understand the frustration…)

2. address them politely but to the point. Chinese tend to be very direct, but sometimes without spelling it out/

3. Don’t offer information/details/letters etc if they not asking for it. Stick to the required forms and information

4. If you need a short term/tourist visa, u may need bookings for transport and hotels. Have a look at the English version of the Chinese websites: elong.com or ctrip.com. You can make confirmed hotel bookings there without paying for them (and free to cancel)

5. If you after a long term (6-12 months) visa, then do a bit of research. The most likely category you will get are X (study), M (business) or Z (work) visa. All require considerable amounts of paper work from your home country and/or the company/school in China. However for M you could use an agent, which can arrange it for you in HongKong. One such agent is:

FOREVER BRIGHT TRADING LTD
    九龍尖東科學館道14號新文華中心B座九樓916-7室
    Rm 916-917,New Mandarin Plaza,Tower B, 14 Science Museum Rd T.S.T East Kowloon
    TEL:852-23693188 FAX: 852-23122989
    fbtravel@fbt-chinavisa.com.hk
    REGARDS
    FROM LUK TAK

also have a look here: http://application.chnexpats.com

I have used both in the past, and they have been reliable. But things change frequently, so ask all the info before you send your passport or arrange your visa with an agent (above or otherwise)

Good Luck

45. David says

Dear All,

Searching for some quick advice if possible?

I need to visit Zhongshan province for 2 days. It is unpaid work, as my client has an issue at their factory. So, i plan to stay in Hong Kong and catch the ferry across.

Could anyone advise me of what best to do? Can i get a ferry ticket without a visa? Or is it just like immigration? If i do need a visa, would it be best to apply in Hong Kong? If so, are the requirements the same?

I am Australian, living in Bangkok with house register and married to a Thai, and have a work permit and Non-immigrant visa. I plan to fly direct to Hong Kong also.

Thanks in advance.

David

46. paolo says

hi Mark, it was easy to get to your website just searching china visa application in bangkok. I really liked your indications. I may apply for multiple entry visa for biz, and will update you if anything has changed. I applied many times for multiple before (I have been working travelling to China since 1999) but i sold my company last year and this would be the first time I apply by myself.
    I live and work near Asok now, just moved from Singapore. anytime you are around we may have a drink

Hi guys,

Is this thread still active? :-)

The school in China has the work permit for me and are applying for the invitation letter – they said it would speed up the process if I’d send them a flight booking confirmation, so I’ll do that (must arrive in China on 16/17 August).

Please tell me, does the Chinese embassy / Visa office, accept copies of the invite letter and work permit, or only originals?

Is the way I’m thinking about it here correct?

2. Send ticket booking confirmation to China
    3. Wait for letter of invitation and work permit
    4.Take letter of invitation, work permit, medical, hotel booking, passport, Thai work permit and whatever other documents I have (can’t think of the other doc’s I’m missing here?)

Does that sound about right?

48. Jane says

You really need to add an update to this entry saying that the Chinese visa process has tightened up considerably since it was published. If someone reads this article thinking it’s a breeze, you’re doing them a disservice.