Photo Favorite: View of the Southern Patagonia Glacial Field, Chile

5557792198 53081c6705 o Photo Favorite: View of the Southern Patagonia Glacial Field, Chile

Glacier Grey, Patagonia, Chile

Location: Torres Del Paine, Patagonia, Chile

Grey Glacier of the Southern Patagonian Ice field – this site blew my mind. Growing up in tropical Africa, this scene was something so foreign that I stood there, gasping for my next gasp of air while attempting to fathom what was before me.

Comments

Chile is in our eyes as the next country to move to. And am loving how absolutely beautiful it is!

I was there 10 years ago, but never made it south of Santiago, just north and up to Bolivia.

There is so much to see.

Great Marina! The Southern Patagonia region is truly spectacular, but I’m sure the North is gorgeous as well! Hope you get to move to Chile soon.

NICE! What a beautiful picture. Where were you at when you took that picture? Did you hike the full circuit? We hiked the W and I do not remember seeing Glacier Grey from that perspective. Amazing shot. Very beautiful, and it has me wanting to return to TDP. What a gorgeous place!

Hey Adam,
      Yes, I did the full circuit, the Q. I believe I took this shot just after crossing the mountain pass – from what I remember, I don’t think you cross this if you do the W. You and me both – would love to return to Torres Del Paine, maybe the most naturally beautiful place I’ve ever been!

Awesome Ayngelina, I think hiking in Torres Del Paine was one of my all-time most memorable places I’ve been. The natural beauty is unbelievable!

Patagonia sounds so fascinating, so remote… yet, your beautiful photo looks like Northern Norway and Svalbard. Makes sense, of course, that the Antarctic resembles the Arctic.

4. Don says

Great photo Mark. I’ve not yet been to Patagonia but hope to visit some day. It resembles Alaska.

I can relate, Mark. There are some things that are so beautiful that words pale into absolute insignificance when trying to take in all of its glory. I think anyone looking at that picture can stand in your shoes and feel the exact euphoria that you experienced. Glorious.

Awesome Renee…fully right about everything. Sometimes the immediate glory is better left unspoken – just going crazy between the sights and your feelings.

It’s all pretty hard as ice, but possibly you can take an ice trekking tour on it – I know at another glacier (Perito Moreno Glacier) in the area, they offer ice trekking.

When I went, the full circuit wasn’t officially open, but we decided just to go for it. So it was so incredible because we were basically alone (apart from 1 or 2 others in a day) on the backside of the trail! Were you able to hike the W?

6. Alex Quinn says

Great picture! Even though it is cold, Patagonia is amazing! My favorite part of Patagonia is having a chance to see the penguins! I think everyone should visit Patagonia at least once in their lifetime.