How to Easily Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet, Laos

Savannakhet, Laos, presents a low-key option for getting a Thai visa instead of making a Thai visa run to Vientiane.

5700146788 483c452abe o How to Easily Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet, Laos

Sunrise on the Mekong River at Savannakhet, Laos

Savannakhet, Laos is located just across the Mekong River from Mukdahan, Thailand. If you are heading to Savannakhet to make a Thai visa run, it’s best to first find your way to Mukdahan.

Buses leave from Bangkok’s Mo Chit Northern bus terminal to Mukdahan:

• Non-air con buses leave throughout the day: around 350 THB, about 12 hours
  • VIP buses leave around 8 pm to Mukdahan: cost about 800 THB (confirm everything with bus terminal in Bangkok), about 12 hours

From Mukdahan, Thailand there is a bus service that runs about every hour across the border to Savannakhet, Laos.

5699575461 a9aaa584b8 o How to Easily Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet, Laos

Thai Visa Savannakhet

The Thai Embassy in Savannakhet is actually just a Thai Consulate – General, and they give Visas!

How Much Time Does it Take to Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet:

At the very least you will need 9 am Day 12 pm Day 2 (29 hours or so). Yes, you will need to spend the night in Savannakhet, Laos (see below).

Step 1

I arrived at the Thai consulate (day 1) at about 8:30 am. The consulate is located right in the center of town, with a Mekong River view. It’s possible to walk to the consulate from just about anywhere in town.

View Thai Consulate – Savannakhet, Laos in a larger map

Step 2

You can get a Thai visa application form right outside the gates of the consulate. There are a number of makeshift stalls that also take visa photos and offer photocopying services.

They charge 20,000 Kip for 9 passport photos and 2000 Kip for a single page photo copy (a bit expensive). The forms they supplied us were free. If you can pre-arrange your photos and your photocopy, you won’t need to worry about this!

This is what you need for your Thai visa:

• Passport (usual valid for 6 months or more)
  • Visa application filled out
  • 2 Passport photos
  • 1 photocopy of main page of passport
  • Thai Baht, or USD
5699575287 40d9ee8cf9 o How to Easily Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet, Laos

Thai Visa Savannakhet

Step 3

The Thai consulate in Savannakhet opens the gates to applicants at 9:00 am (despite the sign saying 8:30 am). Nothing get’s going too early when you’re in Laos! You enter the gate and submit your visa application at the counter.

Step 4

The Thai visa costs 1000 THB for a 2 month visa and 2000 THB for a 2 month double entry visa. There is no options on the visa form to select double entry, so make sure to tell the clerk that you would like a double entry. He will examine your passport for a few seconds and then write double entry at the top. Note that you must ask him!

Step 5

You will be handed a small receipt with a number on it, and your visa will be ready the NEXT (day 2) business day at 2 pm.

NOTE: Be sure to look at the schedule of Thai and Laos holidays to avoid having to waste more time than you need to on a Thai visa run to Savannakhet.

Getting From Savannakhet to Mukdahan

Immediately after getting your Thai visa (Day 2), it’s possible to head straight to the Savannakhet bus station and catch the bus back to Mukdahan (if you are on a visa run from Thailand), or continue on you Laos travels. I walked to the bus station and it took about 20 minutes, so you can either walk or take a tuk tuk.

Here is the Savannakhet to Mukdahan bus terminal schedule:

5700148390 673e32038c o How to Easily Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet, Laos

Savannakhet to Mukdahan Bus Schedule

Cheap guest houses in Savannakhet:

• Leena Guest House: Nice location with 40,000 Kip double rooms
  • Phone Vilay Guest House: Decent guest house, about a 10 minute walk from city center with rooms ranging from 25,000 to 50,000 Kip per night.
5700147822 b7cbbc5d4d o How to Easily Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet, Laos

Savannakhet, Laos

It’s one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had in my entire life, and it’s located in Savannakhet, Laos. After turning in your passport on Day 1 of the visa process, head over to the main square of Savannakhet and the small breakfast restaurant is located right across the street from Phongsavanh Bank (biggest building in Savannakhet?).

5700147580 b08c4300b4 o How to Easily Get a Thai Visa in Savannakhet, Laos

Best Sandwich in the World

Comments

1. David says

Thanks man for all your great informations and advices.
    It’s clear and easily understanding!
    I live in Paksé for 2 years and never been in Savannakhet!But i need a visa to go in Thailand next month so it ‘ll be all right !

2. shalyn says

Hi

This post is great ! It’s short and sharp, and helpful.Thank you.

I plan to have a same run, did you buy your return bus ticket (Mukdahan to Bangkok) at Mochit in advance? May i have your advise?

Many thanks

Hey Shalyn, thanks a lot for taking a look.
      The last time I went to Savannakhet, I actually crossed the border further south in from Ubon (Thailand) to Pakse (Laos), and then I went north from there to Savannakhet. I would recommend just going and not buying a return ticket. I would guess that there will be time to buy your return ticket later.
      Hope you have a great trip to Savannakhet,
      Mark

Hi Mark

One important question. If I enter with 2 weeks visa (visa on arrival) can I get 2 months visa In Laos?

Best Regards and many thanks for your post!

I’m not fully sure the answer to this question, but I think you can. You may want to ask on a forum though for more support as I only speak from my own personal experience on this article.

Your answer not help very much, sorry to say this…anyway, that means better make 2 months visa before enter Thailand for be sure, right? If someone did 2 moths visa in Laos after visa on arrival(15days)…will be nice to share it here with us.

Dear Mark,

We are now offering a Thai Visa Run to Savannakhet, Lao PDR. Our packages start from 999 THB. We would like to invite you to try and comment on our service on your next visa run. For more information regarding our program and Thai visas in general, please take a look at our website at http://www.savanvegas.com/visarun

Thank you!

MARK!

Thank you so much for this blog! I had a friend refer Savannakhet to me over going to Vientiane and I am so doing this form now on! I live in Southern Thailand and this was my first trip here. I did pretty much everything you said and had no problems. Also, there is a morning 2nd class bus that leaves Mo Chit at 0730. I reached Mukdahan around 6:30pm and hoped on the bus to cross the boarder around 7pm. Flawless! ALSO, I totally ate that sandwich this morning and you are right my friend, it was delicious!!! Im heading there in the morning to have a 2nd go at it! Thanks for sharing!

Hannah

Hey Hannah, awesome, thanks a lot for the update, and glad it’s still an easy process to get a visa in Savannakhet. That’s incredible you got the sandwich, it is one of my favorites in the world!

7. Tony Mitchell says

Hi Mark. I arrived in Savannakhet this morning after taking the bus from Mo Chit Bus Terminal in Bangkok to the Laos border at Mukdahan. It may be worth mentioning that in order to get into Laos a visa on arrival is necessary, which costs 1,300 baht and requires one passport photo. Did you do this when you came here?

8. Tony Mitchell says

Mark,
    I’d also like to recommend the Savanniramit Guest House in Savannakhet. It’s a short walk from the bus terminal in the direction of the Phongsavanh bank. The rooms are very clean and new with air-conditioning and hot shower, free WiFi, TV and a double bed with a ‘real’ hotel-quality mattress. The room I had was called a ‘Happy Room’ and cost only 500 baht per night.
    I also found a delightful Café that is ideal for relaxing and eating while waiting for the visa to be processed. It’s called Café Chai Dee (www.cafechaidee.com) and is run by a very nice Japanese man, Koichi-san. It’s also on the same street as the Phongsavanh bank.
    By the way, I ate 6 of those sandwiches while I was in Savannakhet!

Hey Tony, awesome thanks a lot for sharing these extra tips. Will be sure to use them the next time I’m in Savannakhet. Wow, awesome, glad you found the sandwich spot!

9. siobe says

Hi. Im Siobe and im from philippines. my tourist visa is about to expire soon and i need to get new visa before it expires. My question is, is the double entry visa still available in savannakhet? And how much does it cost? I have been to Vientienne lots of time and I know that my visa application there is going to be denied and it get more strict in Vientienne every yearso I need to know another option in obtaining Thai double entry visa. Thank you.

10. Rana says

Hi David ,

Thanks for the very informative post. I was wondering if this applies to all nationalities as I am an Indian..would the same 2 month rule apply?

11. jo says

hey,
    im currently doin the visarun, so here are my 5 cents update for sep 2013:
    the two nightbusses leave from mo chit at 19.30 and 20.00. tickets are about 550, but there are a few seats with much more legspace for 850. i take one of those next time, because im tall.
    the thai office moved into a new bulding now just around the corner from the mekong street. easy to find: go to the mekong street, turn right and go around the curve at the end. or shout “thai visa” to everyone on the street and they point u there. :)
    there was a guy setting me up with the application and copies and everything for 20 B, i didn´t mind paying it. a guy in front of me got rejected, because his copies weren´t clean!!!
    the sandwich place is only open until 12.00, so it´s kind of a breakfast-restarant.
    the tall bank building is close to the thai consulat and its a (ugly?) yellow-grey building.
    Lord have mercy, the sandwich was awesome! and it took only a few minutes to prepare. tomorrow i eat two..been on the road now 6 weeks and had more than 20-25 different sandwiches, this sandwich is the no 1, a no brainer.
    The daughter of the couple running the place, who is here for student holiday, mentioned, that other western customers read about the place on the net. i gave her your website address. maybe u get commission next time.
    i stay at leena and pay 200 baht for my fan room. i paid in baht all the time so far and it´s ok, was too lazy to change the money to kip. but i recommend to get the 30 dollar for visa, because paying your visa in baht is more expensive (1300 Baht).
    cya

12. Bear says

Hello, Mark Wiens. My name is bear. I’m a daughter of the owner breakfast restaurant that you took that sandwich.
    The first time I don’t know but today Mr. Jo tell me.
    I’m very thankful that you show our sandwich, I have just shown my parents.
    They’re so happy and smile. They said that if you come here again, they will give you a free sandwich. ^^

13. arlene says

Hello mark,

Thank you very much, your blog is very helpful.just arrived in Bkk and i got 2 entry tourist visa. The Thai consulate in Suvannaket is not strict, i submit my application and i asked if i can have 2 entry tourist visa and just asked for 2,000 baht and take my application without any question.
    I would highly recommend JOLI Guest house, my friend and i stayed there,the place is nice and clean.The owner is very friendly and accommodating. They have price range is 400-500 baht. free wifi, water, coffee and tea, as well as breakfast(egg and bread).
    Too bad i wasn’t able to taste that sandwich, but ill make sure to visit that place on my next time..

14. Michael says

Hey Mark & future travelers,

You offer great advice and directions in getting a Thai visa in Savannakhet. I am following your directions to the letter. This is saving me time and money. Only now the VIP bus ticket from Bangkok to Mukdahan is 1,050 Baht. Better than flying because the airline schedules conflict with the Thai Consulate’s schedule and it’s cheaper. If you fly you could end up staying another night which may be OK for some people. This is because the flight leaves the Phanom Nakhon airport at 17:00 and makes it nearly impossible to get to the airport on time after you pick up your visa at the Savannakhet Thai Consulete at 14:00. Thanks again best wishes and good luck.

15. Lyn2 says

Halu, are we still allowed to get a single entry or double entry at savanakhet because cambodia visa run nowadays were already strick…?

16. roy says

Hi Mark, just surfing the net to find a hotel in Vientiane to stay for a visa run then came across with your blog… Man!…. i’m going to Savannakhet not because the Consulate there is not strict on visa stamps but….. because of that SANDWICH! let you know soon . cheers! :-)